CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 5, 2017

Harvest Monday 5/29/17 and 6/5/17

I didn't post last week's harvest because I was out of town.  Last week I decided to pull the rest of the lettuce that was inter-planted in my brassica bed.  The broccoli and cauliflower had grown enormous and was shading out the lettuce.  Besides that, it was getting harder to get to the lettuce and wage war against the aphids.  I ended up with a nice lettuce harvest and salads for the entire week.  


This week, I've been monitoring my broccoli.  We had very crazy weather over the last few weeks.  It went from 60 degrees to 80 then 90 then back to 60.  The broccoli was having a fit.  One of my broccoli heads appeared to be bolting.  I made a mental note to harvest it but when I finally did, it was sprouting flowers.  I also harvested a second broccoli head because it appeared that it may start to bolt soon.

Now I'm no broccoli expert but can someone give advice?  Did I harvest this one too soon?  Should I have left them a little longer?  It looked like the little florets were going to start to open up.  This one was about the size of a softball.  The rest of the broccoli are still small and appear to be doing okay.  We'll see.  It's supposed to start to warm up again this week - a high of 77 today and 82 tomorrow.  🙀

Besides broccoli, I also harvested some near perfect kale!  This was exciting after having aphid lettuce.  The kale was buggy free and will make for delicious eats this week!



Last week's harvest totals:
- Lettuce 0.6 lb

This week's harvest totals: 
- Kale 0.77 lb
- Broccoli 0.3 lb

Happy Harvesting!!



6 comments:

michelle hamer said...

That broccoli looks good to me, but then I like my broccoli to be a little bit more loose than the dense heads that commercial growers harvest. I even like to let them get nearly as loose as the one that is nearly blooming, it all tastes good to me and if there are aphids they are easier to blast out of a loose head than a tight one.

~TastyTravels~ said...

Thanks Michelle!! Maybe I picked it too soon. I kept the flowering head as well. I'll stir fry it up. =)

Dave @ OurHappyAcres said...

I'm no expert on broccoli, but I'm kinda like Michelle and like mine a bit looser too. Often my heads develop sort of uneven, so that parts are starting to open up before others. It's all good in the kitchen though!

~TastyTravels~ said...

Thanks for the advice Dave! I'll let it grow a little longer on the next head and see what happens!! Either way the broccoli was delicious! =)

Kathy said...

Beautiful kale! Always lovely to harvest something so unmarked by weather or bugs

Phuong said...

That's some crazy temperatures you've been getting. It looks like you got tons of lovely lettuce and kale, your lettuce must have liked being interplanted with your broccoli and cauliflower.