CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 1, 2017

First Vegetable Starts in the Spring 2017 Garden

On April 10th, I had pre-sprouted some pea seeds indoors.  I wet a paper towel with warm water and placed a handful of pea seeds in between the sheets in a ziploc bag.  I placed the bag in a warm window sill and in a few days, they had sprouted.  I used seeds from Sugar Ann Snap Peas, Sugar Sprint Snap Peas and Oregon Sugar Pod II Snow Peas.  These seeds were from 2013 and 2015 so I was also testing them from germination rates.  They did very well.  The pea seeds were sown outside on April 13th.  

This photo was shot on April 23rd, 10 days after sowing the seeds.  As you can see, the tender green shoots are just peek out from the soil.  I've been careful to slug bait this area of the garden after sowing the seeds and again when I saw they had started to break the surface.  All I need is for the aggressive slugs to demolish all my hard work!  


I also bought some spring vegetable starts at my local nursery.  The top photo is after I had quickly planted them on a rainy April 13th day.  I have a cover for these grow boxes so they were nice and protected from the elements.

Planted in this mix are the following:
- Snow Crown Cauliflower
- Nero Di Toscana Kale
- Wild Garden Mix Lettuce
- Green Comet Broccoli


The bottom photo was taken on April 23rd.  As you can see, the starters had adjusted well to their new home and are looking good!  I did notice some aphids on my lettuce.  GRRRRR!!  I hate aphids!  I hand picked them off where I could.  I'm considering ladybugs or an organic oil/dishwashing soap concoction.  Anyone have tried and true methods of keeping aphids at bay?  I find spraying with water to be very ineffective.  

4 comments:

Phuong said...

Looks like your starts really took off and soon you'll have peas to eat! It's nice to see you blogging again, I think lots of us take breaks from blogging and gardening.

Rowena said...

Blasted aphids, they are all over my tarragon and rosebuds. I usually check each morning and pick them off, but on the weekends my husband sprays the roses with pyrethrum.

~TastyTravels~ said...

Thanks Phuong and Rowena! Rowena, aphids make me nuts. Haha. I prepped more veggie beds today and they're still hanging out on the lettuce. Blarh!! I think I'll try the oil/dish soap concoction next. Hope it doesn't hurt my lettuce.

~TastyTravels~ said...

Thanks Phuong and Rowena! Rowena, aphids make me nuts. Haha. I prepped more veggie beds today and they're still hanging out on the lettuce. Blarh!! I think I'll try the oil/dish soap concoction next. Hope it doesn't hurt my lettuce.