CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Ultimate Green Beans with Bacon

I was able to pick about a pound of French filet green beans from the garden.  I'm so excited!  I love green beans.  I saw a recipe on The Pioneer Woman's website that looked promising.  She promised that this recipe was absolutely delicious and that I maybe fighting off others for my share.  I was intrigued.  I decided to give it a try!  
Just for the record, she wasn't lying!!  This very simple green bean dish was absolutely divine!  I tweaked it slightly and instead of just cooking it in bacon fat, I added some crispy bacon at the end.  I mean bacon makes everything better right??!


Ultimate Green Beans with Bacon
Adapted from: www.thepioneerwoman.com
Serves 6 (or less cause they're really really good!!)


1 lb. green beans, ends trimmed
5 slices thick bacon, chopped
reserved bacon fat
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 large onion, diced
1/2 red pepper, diced
3/4 c. chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste

1) Fry bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  When bacon is crispy, remove from skillet with a slotted spoon to a bowl.  Set bacon bits aside and keep the bacon fat for cooking.  

2)  In the bacon fat, cook onions for about a minute on medium heat.  Add garlic and cook for another minute (be sure not to burn garlic).  Add the green beans to the skillet and cook for a minute or two until the beans turn bright green.

3)  Add chicken broth, red pepper and salt and pepper.  Turn heat to low and cover with a lid.  Leave the lid cracked slightly to allow the beans to steam.  Cook beans for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the liquid evaporates and the beans are fairly soft (but still has a little crisp).  Add more chicken brother during the cooking process as needed but don't be afraid to let it all cook away so the onions and peppers are caramelized.  Add cooked bacon bits back to the skillet and toss well.  


**Be sure to visit Tuesday's Table to view yummy recipes by other bloggers!**

0 comments: