CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 11, 2014

Meatless Mondays: Thai Quinoa Salad with Citrus Thai Basil Vinaigrette

This quinoa salad was inspired by a single ingredient.  I harvested a bunch of Thai Basil from the garden and was unsure what to do with it.  I came up with an idea for making a Thai inspired salad that would taste wonderful in the summer heat.  I decided to use quinoa as the foundation for the salad.  I love quinoa because it makes an excellent protein source.  Quinoa salads are one of my favorite things during the summer.
I also came across a recipe for a Citrus Thai Basil Vinaigrette from Bobby Flay.  I decided to use it for my salad.  Looking back, I think the dressing needs work.  It wasn't a true vinaigrette and was a little watery in consistency which gave the quinoa a mushy texture.  I think the dressing needs more citrus and maybe some vinegar.  Otherwise, the ingredients in the salad was a nice blend and invoked a Thai flavor!


Thai Quinoa Salad with Citrus Thai Basil Vinaigrette
Dressing from Bobby Flay at The Food Network


1 c. quinoa (I used a mixture of white and red)
2 c. water or chicken stock
1/2 tsp. salt
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 carrot, peeled and grated
1 English or Japanese cucumber, seeded and diced
2 green onions, finely sliced (I omitted this)
1/4 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
2 Tbsp fresh Thai basil (can substitute mint), chopped

Citrus Thai Basil Vinaigrette:
3/4 c. orange juice
1/4 c. fresh lime juice 
1/2 c. Thai basil
1/2 c. fresh cilantro leaves
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
1 heaping Tbsp. honey
1/2 c. canola oil

1)  Cook quinoa according to package instruction.  I usually place 1 cup quinoa in a fine sieve and rinse well under running water then drain.  I like to toast my quinoa for additional flavor.  Add a Tbsp olive oil or butter to a medium pot (with lid).  Add quinoa and cook over medium heat for a few minutes until toasted.  Add 2 c. water or chicken stock and 1/2 tsp. salt to the pot and bring to a boil.  Lower heat to a simmer and cover pot.  Cook for 15 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated.  Remove from heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes with the cover on.  After 5 minutes remove lid and fluff quinoa.  Allow quinoa to cool.    

2)  Add all the ingredients for the vinaigrette to a blender and blend for about 1 minute.  Set aside dressing.

3)  Once quinoa has cooled, place in a large mixing bowl.  Add the other ingredients and toss well.  Add about 1/2 of the dressing and toss to coat.  Place salad in the refrigerator to allow the flavors to meld.  Add more dressing if needed.

3 comments:

Mac said...

The salad looks good, but I never thought of using quinoa with Thai basil.

Ania TastyQuery.com said...

Hello!

I saw your blog and thought it had great recipes and awesome pictures! I therefore would like to invite you to our new culinary website which has just started.

This is how it works in short. TastyQuery.com is a website for food bloggers and their fans allowing them to automatically collect recipes from your food blog. It's a large database of links to recipes on food blogs. Everyone can join us for free.

For more please visit:
http://tastyquery.com

TastyQuery.com is an English version of our main website called "Mikser Kulinarny", founded in Poland. "Mikser Kulinarny" has a large audience (over 2 mln unique visitors monthly) and with TastyQuery.com we want to repeat that success and drive thousands of new visitors to your food blog.

In case of any questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

best regards

Ania, TastyQuery.com

Margaret said...

I love quinoa but often forget that it is in my cabinet when I am thinking of what to make for lunch. My Thai basil succumbed to basil downy mildew but hopefully I will have better luck next year & be able to try this recipe.