CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 18, 2014

Canning: Blackberry Vanilla Syrup

I'm a little behind on my blogging.  I had bought a flat of "Loch Ness" blackberries this summer.  I made more seedless blackberry jam and still had some leftover.  What to do with them?  I decided to try a recipe for blackberry syrup.  Yum!!  This is a canning recipe so you'll be assured of having delicious syrup all year long! 
I saved a small jar of the delicious syrup for pancakes the next day.  It was delicious!!  I also tried making an italian soda with the syrup and had it over ice cream.  OMG...yummy!!


Blackberry Vanilla Syrup
Makes: 5-6 pints
















8 c. blackberry puree
5 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. pectin
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (or juice of 1 lemon)
zest of 1 lemon
2 whole vanilla beans, scraped

1)  Wash berries in a colander.  Place berries in a large pot and over low heat and using a potato masher, mash berries until they release their juices.

2)  Turn off heat and run berries through a food mill several times until the maximum amount of juices and pulp are extracted.  I believe I used about 5 or 6 pints of berries for the 8 cups of puree.  Measure out your 8 cups of blackberry puree and return the puree to a large pot.

3) Add about 1/3 cup of your premeasured 5 cups of sugar to the pectin and stir well.  Add the pectin/sugar combination to the pot and stir to mix.  Add remaining sugar, lemon juice, zest and scraped vanilla beans to the pot.  Add the vanilla bean pods (just remember to remove them prior to canning) to the pot.

4) Cook syrup over medium heat until it comes to a boil.  Stir well.  Boil rapidly for about 2 minutes.  Remove from heat.

5) Skim off foam from the syrup.  Pour syrup into hot sterilized jars and leave 1/2 inch headspace.  Process jars in hot water bath for 10 minutes.

2 comments:

Rowena said...

I love the color! I honestly have never even tried blackberry syrup, and with the way they cost here, it's not a project that I can consider making. Still, if I ever come across a good deal on blackberries... ^-^

Rajesh Kumar said...

nice food ! I like it .I have never eaten this type of roll.It is very testy and delicious.Online Order Food