CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Oven Roasted Red Peppers

This is a quick and simple way to roast a whole bunch of red peppers at once.  It is super easy and requires very little thought (my favorite types of recipes)!!  I got this tip/trick from Ina Garden.  

No, these were not from my own garden.  I got a 6 pack of sweet red peppers at Costco for  $5.99 (plus I live in Oregon-no sales tax!!).  This made enough to stuff 2 pint mason jars (use the wide-mouth jars to make life easier for yourself).  It will last for about 2 weeks refrigerated in olive oil.  I use it for sandwich toppings (delicious!!), I threw it in a few salads, I sliced some up to put on pizza and pureed some up for a nice sauce.  It's uses are endless!  













Oven Roasted Red Peppers
6 peppers = 2 pints
Recipes Courtesy of Ina Garden at Food Network

6 red bell peppers
good olive oil (a few tablespoons)

1) Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.

2) Place the whole peppers on a lined baking sheet and roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes.  Roast the peppers until the skins are wrinkled and they are charred on the outside, turn them twice during the roasting process.

3) Remove the baking sheet from the oven and immediately cover with aluminum foil.  Be sure to cover the baking sheet tightly and take care not to burn yourself.  
















4) Let the peppers rest for about 30 minutes until cooled.  Once cool, remove the stems from each of the peppers.  Remove the peels from the peppers (the more charred they are, the easier they are to remove the skins).  Slice each pepper in half and remove all the seeds.  Slice peppers further into fourths or however thin you want them (I like the big pieces).

5) Place your peppers in a mason jar (or other container) and pour good olive oil over the peppers.  Keep in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.

**Note that the olive oil may solidify in the refrigerator.  Just allow the jars to come to room temperature before using or scrape the solids off the peppers.**

2 comments:

Rowena... said...

Ooooh I will have to see if we can check out a bell pepper festival since the season should be upon us right now. What a great idea to roast a whole bunch of them to keep in olive oil.

Mac said...

Yum~~~~you just remind me I have a jar of red pepper in the frig :)