CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 22, 2013

Meatless Monday: Opah (Moonfish) with Citrus Ginger Beurre Blanc

Meatless Monday is back!  Sorry for the absence!  It's been a busy summer.  

This past weekend, I happened to be Whole Foods Market.  They had a sale on Opah (moonfish).  I *heart* Opah!!  If you're not familiar with Opah, it's a moonfish and looks like an alien.  It's often found on restaurant menus in Hawaii.  If I'm out at a restaurant and they have Opah on the menu, it's my go to fish!  It is a white fish that's firm and flaky.  It's similar to swordfish or halibut in texture.  If you haven't had it before, try it!!  Click here to learn more about Opah.  While I always order it when I'm out to eat, I've never cooked it at home before.  Since the Opah looked fresh, was priced right and it's been a while since I've had my Opah fix, I was sold.
I couldn't decide how I wanted to prepare my Opah.  Really, it's so good you could just salt and pepper it and sear or grill it.  Delicious!  I had a wild idea to pan-sear the Opah and make a beurre blanc sauce. Mind you, I've never made a beurre blanc sauce before.  I love the idea of citrus with fish so I incorporated a citrus twist to my beurre blanc.  

The result was a delicious piece of fish with an amazing sauce!  The citrus ginger beurre blanc went perfectly with the Opah.  My first beurre blanc sauce was very time consuming to make but it was a success!  Very well worth the effort!!


Opah with Citrus Ginger Beurre Blanc
Serves: 2
Time: 40-50 minutes


2 pieces Opah (moonfish), about 3-4 oz. each
salt and pepper
olive oil

Sauce:
1 c. dry white wine (I used a pinot grigio)
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
1 shallot, minced
2 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1 c. fresh orange juice (about 2 oranges)
1/4 c. fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 c. heavy cream
1 c. cold unsalted butter, cut in to small cubes
salt and white pepper

1) Heat olive oil in a pan over high heat.  Salt and pepper both sides of the Opah.  Sear Opah on high heat for about 3-4 minutes (depending on thickness of fish).  Turn fish and sear the opposite side for the same amount of time.  Remove fish from the pan to a plate.  Allow to rest while you make the sauce.

2) In a sauce pan, combine the white wine, lemon juice, shallots and ginger.  Reduce the sauce over medium-high heat until au sec, or until about 2-3 Tbsp of the liquid remains.  Add the heavy cream and gently reduce by half.    

3) In the meantime, in a separate sauce pan, reduce the sugar, orange juice and lime juice until it is thick and syrupy.  Stir into the reduced cream mixture and remove from heat.  

4) Using a stand or immersion blender, puree the sauce while slowly adding the butter a few cubes at a time until all of the butter is incorporated.  Season to taste with salt and white pepper. 

5) Plate Opah and drizzle with the beurre blanc sauce.  Serve immediately.   



0 comments: