CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Potting Up Tomato Seedlings

After their "spa day" yesterday, my tomato seedlings were due for potting up.  They had been grown in seedling start trays.  Now it was time for an upgrade!  This year I had more than one viable plant per cell so I decided to pot up a few of each type.  I discarded the scraggly and puny seedlings and only planted ones that were strong.
I had bought a Costco sized pack of red Solo cups for a party and had a lot leftover.  I decided to use them for a cheap pot.  They're actually the perfect size.  I drilled a single large hole in the bottom of my cup to allow for adequate water drainage.  
I added some soil starting mix to the cups and transferred my tomato seedlings to the cup, then added more soil to the cup and tucked the seedling in.  If the tomato plant was long and leggy, I planted the seedling deep.  
I ended up with so many tomato plants that I had to improvise.  I used these large storage bins as mini greenhouses.  
The cups that fit in this tray will go back inside and under the grow lights.  They are set outside on nice days that aren't too windy.  So far they're looking pretty good!!

6 comments:

Shannan Deshazer said...

You are going to have gorgeous tomatoes this year!!

Norma Chang said...

Your tomato seedlings look happy in their new red cups. I am sure you are going to have a bountiful harvest.

daisy said...

Great idea to repurpose the cups. You'll be eating well soon!

Charmcitybalconygarden said...

Very nice! I'm using a very similar-looking cup for my seedlings too!

Lisa Lynn said...

Best wishes to your little seedlings! Thanks for sharing on The Creative HomeAcre Hop!
Hope to see you again this Sunday!
http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/04/the-creative-homeacre.html

~Holly~ said...

Shannan: Thank you! Any news on the move yet? I'm so sad but excited for your new start!

Norma: Thank you. I think red is their color! ;0)

daisy: I had so many (you know the Costco pack) so I'm glad to be able to use them. They're the perfect size!

CCBG: I hope your seedlings do well!!

LisaLynn: Thank you!!