CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 15, 2013

Meatless Monday: Swiss Chard, Asparagus and Leek Frittata

I had picked 4 lbs of Swiss chard from the garden last week.  I managed to give a lot of it away to friends.  I kept about a pound of it for myself.
I had planned to make a frittata with it with eggs gifted to me from a friend's chickens.  I also remembered that I had leeks growing out in the garden.  I harvested a few of those to make my frittata.  I also used leftover asparagus and some fresh herbs from the garden.  You could easily add bacon or ham to this to make it more hearty.  I loved it the way it was.  


Swiss Chard, Asparagus and Leek Frittata
Serves: 4-6
2-3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
3 large leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced 
3 cloves of garlic, minced
salt and pepper
1/2 bunch of asparagus, cut in 1 inch pieces
1/2 bunch of Swiss chard, ribs removed and cut into thin ribbons
6 eggs
1/2 c. shredded cheese
1/4 c. milk
2 tsp. fresh thyme
2 Tbsp. garlic chives, chopped
1/8 tsp. nutmeg

1)  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2) In a large pan, heat 2-3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat.  Cook leeks for a few minutes and add garlic and asparagus.  Cook for about 3 minutes until the asparagus is softened.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add the Swiss chard (in batches if your pan is small) and cook until the chard is wilted.  Turn off heat.


3) In a small mixing bowl, add eggs and scramble.  Add cheese, milk, thyme, garlic chives and nutmeg.  Mix well and add salt and pepper.  

4) Place the chard, asparagus and leek mixture into a pie or other baking dish.  Spread mixture out evenly.
5) Add the egg mixture to the top of the vegetables and spread it out evenly.  

6) Place the pie dish on a baking sheet (to catch any overflow).  Cook in the oven for 35 minutes (or until the eggs are set) at 350 degrees F.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool.  It can be served hot, warm or cold.



3 comments:

Mark Willis said...

That Frittata looks absolutely heavenly! Do the stalks of the Ranbow Chard retain their colour when cooked? I expect not, but they do look very attractive, so I was thinking of making a Frittata your way but with the Chard stalks instead of the Asparagus.

~Holly~ said...

Mark: Thanks! Yes, the stalks usually retain their color when cooked. They're gorgeous! I usually use the stems when cooking but had leftover asparagus to use up this time. I didn't waste the stems. I gave them to a friend who raises chickens. Apparently they're a big fan! =0)

Another way I love to use the stems is to make quick pickles out of them:
http://tastytravels-holly.blogspot.com/2011/06/whats-cookin-swiss-chard-fridge-pickles.html

the red headed traveler said...

Looks delicious! I love frittatas especially for a light dinner. I can't eat Swiss Chard but I love asparagus and leeks so still seems like a win win :)