CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 8, 2013

Meatless Monday: Halibut with Tomatoes, Artichokes and Capers

I found some halibut fillets on sale.  How to cook them?  I threw this recipe together using just things I had in the pantry and refrigerator.  I noticed the tomatoes I canned last summer and some marinated artichokes heart and capers in the refrigerator.  I also had some leftover basil from the salad I made yesterday.  Viola!  I had an idea!
























This was a very quick and easy recipe.  I used the whole jar of tomatoes and its water.  There was a lot of juices in the packet at the end of cooking.  It would have been good on pasta.  I had to pour some of the juices off.  For a meal that is less soupy, consider draining the tomatoes first.


Halibut with Tomatoes, Artichokes and Capers
Serves 2

12 oz. halibut fillet, cut into 2 portions
1 can or jar diced tomatoes
1/4 c. artichoke hearts, drained and diced
3-4 Tbsp. capers, drained
3 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
extra virgin olive oil
sea salt
black pepper

1)  Preheat oven  to 400 degrees F.

2) Add the tomatoes (drained or undrained - see above notes) to a mixing bowl.  Add diced artichoke hearts, capers and basil.  Mix well and set aside.
















3) Tear off 2 large pieces of parchment paper or foil and set side by side on a baking sheet.  Fold up the sides so that the juices to not run out.  Drizzle olive oil on the center of each sheet of parchment paper or foil.  Set a piece of halibut in the center of the olive oil.  Drizzle the halibut with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

4) Top each piece of halibut with 1/2 of the tomato mixture.  Fold up the parchment or foil like a package.  Make sure the seam is at the top, to seal in the ingredients and tuck up the ends.  

5) Bake on a baking sheet at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until the fish is cooked through.  Be careful when opening the steaming packets.  

Serve halibut with rice or pasta and/or crusty bread to sop up the juices.  Yummy!!



3 comments:

Doc said...

Looks and sounds great, also reminds me I need to start some more Basil in the greenhouse.

janice15 said...

It looks and sounds wonderful..would like to give that a try..Happy Monday with love Janice

~Holly~ said...

Doc: Yes!! Start more basil!! =0)

Janice15: Thanks for stopping by!