CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 8, 2013

Harvest Monday 4/8/13

This week brought a long awaited harvest of beautiful colorful Swiss chard from my overwintered plants.  I had been delaying my harvest due to the wind and rains.  It looks like it got away from me.  This basket was full full full!!  I had to beg friends to take some chard.
I also picked spinach that I had planted out from starters on March 12th.  Many of the spinach leaves were large - almost as big as my hand.  There was a lot of spinach leaves - a whole salad spinner basket full!

With my bountiful harvest, I used the spinach to make a delicious sandwich.  The ingredients for my sandwich included olive ciabatta bread, balsamic fig spread (made locally in Portland, OR), goat cheese crumbles, homegrown spinach and prosciutto.  

My sandwich was so good!  It sure beats any deli sandwich!
This week's harvest totals:
  - Spinach = 0.6 lb.
  - Swiss Chard = 3.87 lb.


Happy Harvest!  Join Daphne at Daphne's Dandelions to see what others' around the world have been harvesting from their gardens this week.

6 comments:

Charmcitybalconygarden said...

those spinach grew up fast! The sandwich looks absolutely devine. I'm very curious about the balsamic fig spread - it sounds really good.

Mac said...

Love the rainbow color chards, they are so pretty, and you sandwich looks delicious.

Liz - Suburban Tomato said...

That does look a great sandwich. I am very into olive bread at the moment and the idea of it with a balsamic fig spread sounds fabulous.

Why I garden... said...

What beautiful chard. I must put this on my list to grow this year.

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Beautiful so colourful!!!

~Holly~ said...

CCBG: Yes, the spinach grew super fast!! I usually amend the old soil in my raised beds each spring with chicken poop. It has high nitrogen content which the spring greens LOVE! The balsamic fig spread is made here in Oregon by Three Little Figs. It's delicious!!

Mac: Rainbow chard is one of my favorite things to grow because they're low maintenance and add a nice pop of color. Thanks! The sandwich was devine!

Liz: Everything went well together. I love olive bread too!!

Kelli: You should. It's super easy to grow (and overwinters well), it's low maintenance and delicious!! Plus it's super good for you! =0)

MKG: Thanks!