CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Bite-Sized Caprese Salad

Times likes these, when it's windy and rainy outside, I really miss my summer cherry tomatoes.  I usually do not buy any tomatoes in the off-season.  I can't bear the pretty, shiny but tasteless tomatoes that are in the stores.  It just makes me sad.  However, once in a while I'll break down.  Today was one of those days!  
I used the cherry tomatoes to make a delicious bite-sized caprese salad.  It sure hit the spot.  It woulda been better with home grown tomatoes but during early spring, beggars can't be choosers.  But a girl can dream, right??


Bite-Sized Caprese Salad
Serves 2-3

1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 tsp. sugar
salt and pepper
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
8 oz. fresh baby mozzarella cheese, drained well and halved
1/4 c. fresh basil, chopped

1) Place the halved tomatoes in a mixing bowl.  Sprinkle with sugar, salt and pepper.  Toss well.  

2) Add mozzarella cheese and basil.  Add balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil to taste.  Toss ingredients well.  

3) Place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to chill.  Mix well before serving.    

4 comments:

Mac said...

Yum~~ looks good!

~Holly~ said...

Mac: Thanks! The salad was good (but not as good as it would have been with home grown tomatoes!).

Rowena said...

I broke down too (actually have been doing so for the past 2 months). Really can't wait to put tomato starts in the ground but I don't think that will happen until late May/early June.

~Holly~ said...

Rowena: I feel your pain. I'm (im)patiently awaiting warmer weather so I can get tomatoes in the ground. Do you have access to something like this: http://www.burpee.com/Gardening-supplies/garden-growers/wall-o-water-3-pack-prod001210.html?cid=CSEGoogle&CAWELAID=820602081&catargetid=1823377810&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CKXz5rmIzbYCFct7QgodsSEA3A

They really help and you can set tomatoes in the ground earlier in the season.