CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Planting Seeds: Tomatoes, Tomatillos, Peppers, Eggplant and Artichoke

This past week I finally got around to starting my warm vegetable seeds.  I'm a few weeks late but hopefully I'm not too far behind.  I'm not sure what I'm thinking planting so many seeds.  Call me crazy but oh well.

I planted these trays on Wednesday, March 13th.  These are tomatoes, peppers and eggplant seedlings.  These were planted and placed on a heating mat with overhead lights.  
These are the varieties I have planted this year:
- Tomatoes:
     - Organic Kellogg's Breakfast (2010 Park Seeds)
     - Coeur de boeuf (2012 Gondian - French)
     - Organic Green Zebra (2011 Territorial Seed Company)
     - Organic Heinz 2653 (2011 Territorial Seed Company)
     - Oregon Spring (2010 Ed Hume)
     - Organic Brandywine (2010 Lilly Miller)
     - Noire de Crimee (2012 Gondian - French)
     - Mandarin Cross (2012 Renee's Garden)
     - Sweet 100 (2010 Lilly Miller)
     - Chocolate Cherry (2010 Park Seeds)
- Tomatillo:
     - Toma Verde (2011 Ed Hume)
- Peppers:
     - Italian Pepperoncini (2011 Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds)
     - Patio Red Marconi (2011 Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds)
     - Shishito (2010 Kitazawa Seed Company)
- Eggplant:
     - Millionaire (2010 Kitazawa Seed Company)
     - Kamo (Shared from Suzy-Kitazawa Seed Company)

I also planted a container of artichokes.  This one does not have the benefit of heat or a lamp.
- Artichokes: 
     - Violetta Precoce (2011 Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds)  


These are my seedlings today-6 days later.  Awww...look at the little green leaves! 

What warm season veggies are you growing from seed this year?


**Linking up to Jami's Tuesday Garden Party at An Oregon Cottage**

7 comments:

Annie*s Granny said...

I'm growing way too many peppers! Most of my seed was 2-4 years old, so I thought germination would be poor. It wasn't, so I have at least four times as many plants as I need! Oh well, 3 of my kids have gardens this year, so I know who to give the extras to.

~Holly~ said...

Oh Granny, do tell. What varieties are you growing??

Annie*s Granny said...

Early Jalapeno, Grand Bell Mix, Happy Yummy (sweet & hot), Horizon Orange, Quadrato Rosso D'Asti, Red Marconi and Quadrato Geallo D'Asti. So far I can count 93 plants, and they're still popping up! I didn't have nearly enough last year, as the kids kept coming for their share. I ran out of frozen ones in December! I have a feeling I'll have enough this year.

Clint Baker said...

Stopping in and following off TGP!

http://theredeemedgardener.blogspot.com/

~Holly~ said...

granny: wow! That's quite a list! I'm sure your kids appreciate you sharing!! =0)

clint: thanks for visiting!!

Lisa Lynn said...

I plant too many seeds every year too :) Thanks so much for sharing this on The HomeAcre Hop!
Hope to see you on Thursday at:
http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/03/the-homeacre-h…iveaway-winner.html

I changed the starting time for the hop to Thurs morning and we'll be announcing the winner of the seed giveaway!

~Holly~ said...

Thanks for stopping by Lisa Lynn!