CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 25, 2013

2013 Garden Planner and Journal

Over the years, I've tried numerous ways to stay organized during the gardening season.  I've been unsuccessful at keeping a journal, I've lagged behind blog posts, I've scribbled harvest totals on Post-It Notes only to lose them....the list goes on and on.  This year, I will try keeping everything within arms reach in a binder.  It's simple, inexpensive and has sections for all of my gardening needs.  Here's how I did it: 
Supplies:
- large 3-ring binder
- section dividers with tabs
- page protectors
- graph sheets

To give you an idea, these are the sections I included in my planner/journal:
- Garden Planning
   - Graph Sheets - to sketch out my current gardening plots
   - Soil Amendment Log - to note what I've added to the soil and when
   - Crop Rotation Planner - to help me remember which crops will go in next
- Seed Inventory 
   - Current Seed Inventory - to keep track of seeds (vegetable & flower) that I currently have (so I don't rebuy them....believe me, it's happened before)
   - Wish List - seeds that I have my eye on and sources
- Crops
   - Seed Starting Log - to help me keep track when I seeded them, what they are, how long they take to germinate & when they are expected to transplant outside
   - Sow Out & Transplant Log - to keep track of dates seedlings go outside, special protection, and when they were first harvested
   - Pest & Disease Logs - keeps track of icky things in the garden
   - Harvest Log - keeps all my totals in one handy dandy place
   - Seed Harvest Tracker - in case I decide to save seeds, this will help me keep track of them
- Fruit Trees, Canes and Bushes: keeps track of my to do's for my fruit plants
- Monthly Records
   - Calendars-keeps track of things on a calendar
   - Checklists-my to do lists by month
   - Journal-keep track of my tasks that were done, thoughts, reflections, visitors to the garden (birds, insects, etc)
- Expenses-keep track of spending with an extra page protector to keep receipts in one place
- Plant Profiles-keep a cheat sheet of info on my favorite vegetables/plants
- Resources-pages for seed sources & local nurseries, growing info for my specific climate, etc

I'm hoping that by keeping everything together in one place, it'll help keep me organized so I can spend more time outside in the garden!  If you have a good way to keep track of things, I would love to hear from you!!




2 comments:

AnywhereEden said...

Wow, I wish I had such a good way to track things. Even if I had a setup like this one I would probably forget to keep up with it!

~Holly~ said...

AnywhereEden: It's a work in progress but so far so good. I just have to train myself to jot things down as I go. So far it's worked wonderfully!!