CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

2013 First Spring Vegetable Planting

Since I got my beds cleaned up, I decided a trip to the nursery was in order.  As I mentioned, I'm behind on planting veggie seeds this year (isn't that always the case with me??).  I decided to get a head start with some broccoli, spinach, lettuce and kale starters.  I have a cover on my raised bed that my dad built.  I decided to put it to use to cover my young starters.  I weeded this bed, turned the soil and amended it with chicken manure and some fertilizer.  I planted my babies up.  

Broccoli and Spinach

Kale and Leaf Lettuce

First veggie bed of the season

Here's the bed all covered.  To the right is the bed I just planted with young starts.  On the left are the volunteer Swiss chard and radicchio I found.  I put up the hoops since the Swiss chard plants are getting quite big.  I hope we don't get a freak wind storm.  

I had a couple off extra kale plants so I planted them in this container with some French breakfast radishes.  

In this long skinny bed I finally planted my spring pea seeds (both snap peas and snow peas) and I also direct sowed some daikon and radishes.  

Starters Planted Out (all nursery bought):
- Broccoli
- Spinach-Olympia
- Kale-Lacinato
- Lettuce, Leaf-Merlot

Direct Sowed:
- Snap Pea-Sugar Sprint (2013 Ed Hume)
- Snow Pea-Oregon Sugar Pod II (2013 Ed Hume)
- Radish-Organic French Breakfast (2011 Botanical Interests)
- Radish-Japanese Long Scarlet (2012 Kitazawa Seed Co)
- Daikon-Mooli Mino Early (2012 Mr. Fothergill's-from UK)
- Daikon-Shirahime Hatsuka (2012 Kitazawa Seed Co)




6 comments:

Charmcitybalconygarden said...

Everything looks good! Looks like you will soon be harvesting a lot of vegetables! Your over-wintered vegetables look beautiful!

Mac said...

The seedlings looks good and I like your raised bed covers.
I'm WAY~~~BEHIND this year, not starting brassica family except fast growing Asian greens, have an overseas trip coming up, I know they will be dead or eaten up by critters when I return, no point of starting them.

Lisa Lynn said...

Hurray for you! It's still too cold in our neck of the woods...but I'm gearing up for spring.

Found you on TGP and would love to have you share this on The HomeAcre Hop!
http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/03/the-homeacre-hop-10.html

~Holly~ said...

CCBG: Thank you!! I'm hoping to get back to harvesting some yummies!! I'm glad the chard overwintered with absolutely no help from me!

Mac: Thank you! I was way behind last year but it turned out okay. You still have time. Have a great trip!

Lisa lynn: Thanks for visiting! I'll have to pin your site to visit!!

Black Fox Homestead said...

Your raised beds are beautiful! Best wishes for a bountiful harvest. Thank you for sharing this at the HomeAcre Hop! Hope to see you again tomorrow evening: http://blackfoxhomestead.com/the-homeacre-hop/

~Jenny

~Holly~ said...

Black Fox Homestead: Thanks Jenny!! I'll be sure to check back for the hop!