12 large shrimp
1 large egg
1 c. ice water
1 c. all purpose flour, sifted
additional flour for dusting
vegetable oil for frying
tempura dipping sauce (optional)
1) Remove shells from the shrimp and devein them. Keep the tails in place and make 2-3 incisions on the stomach side of the shrimp and lightly press the back of the shrimp to straighten them.
2) Start heating up your oil in a large pot (about 3 inches deep but do not overfill pot). Heat to about
340-350 degrees F.
3) Prepare your ice water (you will need ice cold water, not just cold tap water). Fill a glass with ice cubes and add water. Reserve for batter.
4) Dry shrimp well on a paper towel. Season the shrimp lightly with salt on both sides.
5) Beat an egg in a bowl. Add 1 c. of the reserved iced water to the bowl. Add the flour and mix lightly.
6) Lightly flour the shrimp. By the tail, pick up the shrimp and dip into the tempura batter. Then roll the shrimp in panko. Deep fry the shrimp until they are golden brown and crispy. Remove the shrimp to a paper towel to soak up the excess oil.