CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Sukiyaki

Back in October when I was in Las Vegas visiting my brother and his family, my oldest niece requested shrimp tempura for dinner (she always asks for it!).  My sister in law had wanted to try sukiyaki.  

Although I order it once in a while at the Japanese restaurant and my mom and grandma used to make it all the time growing up, I have personally never sukiyaki.  How odd!  It has some of my favorite ingredients-tofu, beef, noodles, napa cabbage.  It is also easy to make (hot pot) and is a true Japanese comfort food.  Traditionally, sukiyaki is served table side as a hot pot.  Guests add ingredients and cook the ingredients to order.  I made mine on the stove and cooked all of the ingredients at once to serve family style.   

I made it one night to go with the shrimp tempura.  It turned out really good.  I love the sauce and was concerned the recipe I was following wouldn't have enough so I doubled the sauce portion of the recipe.  The recipe that follows is the original portions for the sauce.  Just double it if you want more.  I would probably leave it as is for next time.  I didn't have pre-made dashi for this recipe.  Instead, I used 1/2 a packet of powdered dashi diluted in 1 cup of water.  Adjust to taste.  We served the sukiyaki over rice with the shrimp tempura on the side.  Yum!!    


Sukiyaki
Adapted from: Saga Wagyu Sukiyaki recipe by Masaharu Morimoto at www.foodnetwork.com 
Serves: 4-6

about 1 lb. thinly sliced beef, cut into bite-sized pieces
oil (for cooking beef)
1 package shirataki noodles (yam noodles) or cellophane noodles (bean noodles)
1/2 c. mirin
1/2 c. sake
1/3 c. soy sauce
1/4 c. sugar
1 c. dashi
8 oz. firm tofu, sliced into 1 inch cubes
2 c. napa cabbage (about 1/2 a small head), cut into 1 inch lengths
1 small daikon, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
2-3 stalks green onions, sliced into 1 and 1/2 inch pieces
12 oz. fresh shitake mushrooms, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 package enoki mushrooms, trimmed 


1)  Cook noodles according to directions on the package.  Most noodles follow this simple technique: Boil water.  Place dry noodles in a large heat proof bowl.  Pour boiling water over the noodles and allow to sit until they are cooked.  Drain.

2)  Pour a little oil into a large pot over medium-high.  Add beef and sear them lightly.  If the beef slices are thicker, you may consider cooking it through.  Removed beef from the pot and reserve to a plate.

3)  Add mirin, sake, soy sauce, sugar and dashi to the pot on medium-high heat.  Mix and heat until the sugar is dissolved.

4)  Add the tofu, napa cabbage, daikon, green onions and shitake mushrooms.  Bring the pot contents to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the daikon is soft.  Add the enoki mushrooms and cook for an additional few minutes.  

5)  If you like, you can add more dashi or water to make more sauce.  You can either add noodles to the pot and heat through or add noodles to your bowl and spoon sukiyaki and sauce over the noodles.  Serve hot.



0 comments: