CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, December 17, 2012

Meatless Monday: Spaghetti Squash "Spaghetti"

I love fall and all of the different types of winter squash that are available.  My favorite is delicata squash and acorn squash.  However, spaghetti squash is close behind.  Yum!

I love pasta.  There's no doubt about it!  During the fall and winter though, it's nice to be able to swap out the pasta for spaghetti squash.  Have you tried this stuff?  Not only does it look like noodles when it's done, but it tastes yummy!  I love trading it out on occasion.  It makes a great Meatless Monday meal.  If you're doubtful, consider the increased nutritional content of spaghetti squash and the calories saved by the substitution.

1 c. cooked spaghetti squash                                  1 c. cooked pasta
42 calories                                                              221 calories
10 grams carbohydrates                                          42 grams carbohydrates
2.2 grams fiber                                                        2.5 grams fiber
additional nutrients such as beta carotene 

To cook the spaghetti squash, cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the inside seeds.  Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F.  Place your squash halves on a foil lined baking sheet, cut side up.  Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  
Bake at 350 degrees F for about 30-40 minutes.  Remove your squash from the oven and allow to cool.  When the squash is cool, take a fork and run it through the squash to create spaghetti strands.   
Here, I served it with frozen homemade marinara sauce from my garden tomatoes and Parmesan cheese for a quick and easy Meatless Monday meal!

2 comments:

Doc said...

I love winter squash. I shall have to grow these next year. I printed your cooking instructions. Thanks

Why I garden... said...

It looks very yummy. I always enjoy the flavour of squash. I must try your recipe.