CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, December 10, 2012

Meatless Monday: Okonomiyaki (Japanese pancake)

Okonomiyaki is one of my favorite Japanese street foods.  It's referred to as a Japanese pancake or pizza.  To me, it's neither.  It is, however, damn good!  There is no real set of ingredients.  In Japanese, okonomiyaki translates to "what you like" (okonomi) and "grilled or cooked" (yaki).  You can really add whatever you want to it.  I made a seafood okonomiyaki with baby shrimp and cooked octopus.  I added napa cabbage and green onions for my vegetables. 
Other ingredients you'll need to make your okonomiyaki can be found in most Asian markets.  I used actual okonomiyaki flour but there are recipes out there using plain all-purpose flour.  The flavor won't be the same but you can use it if you don't have access to the okonomiyaki flour.
I made my okonomiyaki in a small omelet skillet.  My first attempt failed as I was unable to flip the okonomiyaki well.  My second attempt went better.  I made my okonomiyaki smaller and found 3 servings per recipe to work well.  


Okonomiyaki (Japanese pancake)
Serves 2-3 (depending on size of your pancakes)
1 c. okonomiyaki flour
2/3 c. water
2 eggs
3-4 c. Napa cabbage, sliced very thinly
2 stalks green onions, thinly sliced diagonally

Suggested fillings:
1/4 c. tenkasu (tempura bits)
1/2 c. cooked shrimp
1 oz. beni shoga (red pickled ginger)
1/2 c. cooked octopus

Toppings:
Kewpie mayonnaise
Okonomiyagi sauce
Nori Goma Furikake (seaweed and sesame seed flavored)
Katsuobushi (bonito flakes)

1) In a large bowl, whisk the okonomiyaki flour and water until a smooth batter forms.  

2) Add eggs, napa cabbage, green onions and other filling ingredients to the bowl.  Mix until just incorporated.  Do not overmix the batter.

3) Oil a griddle to 400 degrees F or use an oiled pan over medium-high heat.  Add batter to the pan.  Using a spatula, flatten and form pancakes until they are about 3/4 inches thick.  

4) After about 3-4 minutes, flip the okonomiyaki and cook for an additional 4 minutes or until firm and well browned.  
5) Remove your okonomiyaki to a plate.  Use a pastry brush to brush the top of your okonomiyaki with okonomiyaki sauce.  Drizzle Kewpie mayonnaise on top of okonomiyaki sauce.  Sprinkle furikake and katsuobushi on top of the pancake and serve.  


3 comments:

takaeko said...

Yes! Okonomiyaki is very popular dish especially among Kansai area in Japan as well as Takoyaki. My family enjoy okonomiyaki at least once a week since the recipe is so simple and we can adjust the taste to our favor with adding thick sauce and mayonnaise.

Your recipe is almost same with ours and I like add thinly-sliced pork and Yakisoba-noodle as a topping.

~Holly~ said...

Takaeko - I love both okonomiyaki and takoyaki so I added tako to it to make it almost takoyaki. I love it!! Noodles would have been yummy too!

Okonomi_Yakity said...

Great post and nice photos! I've never used Nori Goma Furikake - just Ao-Nori, I'll have to try it. If you're interested in more in-depth information on okonomiyaki with an overview of all the ingredients, see http://okonomiyakiworld.com - good luck!