CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Spinach Salad with Seared Scallops, Leeks and Tomato Water

When I can my salsa, I usually drain the tomatoes.  This usually leaves me with some yummy tomato juices or tomato "water".  Besides making an awesome bloody mary, I never know what to do with the juice.
I found this recipe while looking for ways to use my tomato water.  It seemed interesting enough.  I had some spinach that was waiting to be eaten as a salad.  I decided to layer the dish on a bed of spinach for a yummy salad.  The recipe turned out really well.  I used the tomato sauce as a dressing for my spinach.  I will definitely file this recipe away for the next time I find myself with tomato water.


Spinach Salad with Seared Scallops, Leeks and Tomato Water
Serves 1
Adapted from: The Washington Post, August 15, 2012
a few handfuls of baby spinach
1 medium leek, white and light green parts
1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. butter
6 sea scallops
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 c. tomato water

1) Arrange the baby spinach on a plate and set aside.

2) Trim the root end of the leek.  Slice the leek in half lengthwise, beginning at the base end, but don't cut all the way through; this will allow you to loosen the layers of leek with your fingers as you rinse it thoroughly under cool running water.  Shake the leek dry and pat it dry with paper towels.  Slice it crosswise into thin half-moons.

3) Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the leek and cook for 1 minute, stirring, then reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, until the leek softens and just begins to brown, 3-4 minutes.  Remove leeks from the pan to your bed of spinach.  

4) Wipe any remaining bits of leek and oil from the skillet.  Add the butter and heat over medium-high heat.  Lightly season one side of each scallop with salt and pepper.  When the butter has melted and heated for a minute, add the scallops and cook for about 1 1/2 minute on each side, until barely opaque and lightly browned.  

5) Remove the skillet from heat and arrange your cooked scallops on your bed of leeks and spinach.

6) Return the skillet to the heat and add about 1 c. tomato water to the skillet.  Cook until the liquid in the pan has reduced to about 4-6 Tbsp and thickens.  Turn off heat and drizzle the sauce over the scallops, leeks and spinach salad.  

2 comments:

Rowena said...

What a great idea! And to think of the wasteful amount of tomato liquid that has gone down my drain in vain. Looks great Holly!

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

I like eating scallop but I don't know how to prepare it.
Thanks for sharing.