CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 22, 2012

Panko Shrimp Tempura

I went to Las Vegas to visit my brother and his family a few weeks ago.  Once again, I was tasked by my oldest niece (she's almost 6 now) to make shrimp tempura.  She loves this stuff!  I keep meaning to coat the shrimp tempura with panko each time I make it but have never remembered to do it.  This time I actually remembered.  The shrimp actually looked better coated with panko and seemed fluffier without being doughy.  My sister-in-law told me to remember the recipe for next time because it was a winner!  It may also have been that we got larger shrimp this time (from the Asian store).  But I did like the texture the panko gave.  It was nice and crunchy.  In any case, I'm noting the recipe here for my next visit to Las Vegas!


Panko Shrimp Tempura
















12 large shrimp
1 large egg
1 c. ice water
1 c. all purpose flour, sifted
salt
additional flour for dusting
panko
vegetable oil for frying
tempura dipping sauce (optional)

1) Remove shells from the shrimp and devein them.  Keep the tails in place and make 2-3 incisions on the stomach side of the shrimp and lightly press the back of the shrimp to straighten them.

2) Start heating up your oil in a large pot (about 3 inches deep but do not overfill pot).  Heat to about
340-350 degrees F.

3) Prepare your ice water (you will need ice cold water, not just cold tap water).  Fill a glass with ice cubes and add water.  Reserve for batter.

4) Dry shrimp well on a paper towel.  Season the shrimp lightly with salt on both sides.

5) Beat an egg in a bowl.  Add 1 c. of the reserved iced water to the bowl.  Add the flour and mix lightly.

6) Lightly flour the shrimp.  By the tail, pick up the shrimp and dip into the tempura batter.  Then roll the shrimp in panko.  Deep fry the shrimp until they are golden brown and crispy.  Remove the shrimp to a paper towel to soak up the excess oil.

5 comments:

genkitummy said...

That's one of my favorite ways to eat shrimp. I like panko battered shrimp way more than shrimp tempura!

Annie*s Granny said...

An absolute "must try"! Thank you.

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Oh I love panko shrimp tempura too. We have at least one Japanese dish each week and my husband is the one who always does it.

Wendy said...

sounds like a great recipe - I'm going to try this. I wonder what using ice cold water does?

Open Kitchen Concept said...

I love eating shrimps, esp fried ones!