CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Simple Cherry Tomato Pasta

I stumbled on this recipe while in a time suck called Pinterest.  Seriously, like I need anything else on the internet to suck my time.  Anywho, this caught my eye because it makes use of cherry tomatoes.  I've been keeping an eye out for recipes and ways to creatively use the gobs of cherry tomatoes that keep flowing out of my garden.  There's only so much you can pawn off on neighbors and friends.  Right? 

I loved this recipe the instant that I saw it not only because of the cherry tomato factor, but because of the simplicity of it.  Oh and it uses ingredients most of us have lying around the kitchen to boot!!  While the fresh basil would have put this recipe over the top, it was dark outside by the time I realized I hadn't cut any fresh basil.  I was too lazy to go out with a flashlight to harvest basil so I used dried herbs.  Feel free to substitute as needed!  I also doubled the sauce (I love love love sauce).  

This pasta dish is amazingly simple yet delicious!!  The sauce coats the pasta perfectly...like butter.  Seriously!  Try it!

I'm planning on making more of this sauce to freeze.  I'm sure it'll make me smile when I'm chowing down in the winter!  



Simple Cherry Tomato Pasta
Adapted from: www.macheesmo.com
Serves 4
1 lb. whole wheat spaghetti (Barilla is my favorite)
2 pints (1 quart) ripe cherry tomatoes
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 sweet onion, diced
1/2 c. dry white wine (I used a chardonnay)
1/4 c. fresh basil, chopped (I ended up using dried Italian seasoning, dried basil and dried thyme)
salt and pepper

1) Add olive oil to a saucepan over medium-high heat and add onions.  Cook for a few minutes then add the garlic.  Cook until the onions are translucent.  Stir often to prevent burning.  Add all of your tomatoes (whole with skins on).   

2) Stir sauce occasionally.  The tomatoes will eventually wilt and turn into a nice sauce.

3) Using a potato masher or fork, mash up the cherry tomatoes and cook for an additional 10 minutes.

4) Reduce your heat to medium and add your spices (if using dried) and some salt and pepper.  Let the sauce cook down for an additional 25 minutes.  Stir occasionally.  Your sauce will start to concentrate and thicken.  Start to boil a pot of water to cook your pasta in.  

5) Once your sauce has thickened, add the white wine and scrape the bottom of the pan to get all the crusty bits.  This is where you should add your fresh basil and other herbs if you are using fresh ones.  Stir your sauce and reduce the heat to a low simmer.  Cook your pasta till it is to your liking (don't overcook!).  Also, be sure to save at least 1/4 c. of the pasta water to add back to your sauce.     

6) Add 1/4 c. pasta water to your sauce and stir well.  When your pasta is done, using tongs, capture your noodles and add them directly to your sauce.  Toss your pasta to coat them well with yummy sauce.  Serve with Parmesan cheese.  


3 comments:

Robin said...

Oh yum!! I'm going to have to give this a try. I think "The Italian" will love it!

Doc said...

Sounds great and will give it a try.

Wendy said...

this looks delicious!! I think I'm going to grow cherrys next year. I'm just NOT a good tomato grower, but cherries have always been easy and pretty pest/disease free.