CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Second Fall Planting

On Monday, July 30th, I planted more fall/winter vegetables.  In between the previously planted broccoli and cauliflower, I planted some Romaine and Merlot Leaf Lettuce. 
I didn't have a spot for the Brussels Sprouts yet as they are currently filled with summer vegetables.  So instead, I planted them in large pots for safekeeping.  I may leave them there or transplant them to the raised beds later in the season.  
I was just going to drape shade cloth over them to protect them from the caterpillars/moths but my dad got fancy and built a cage out of scrap pieces of wood and sewed the cloth to fit over with a drawstring tie.  Fancy pants!
Here's some of the seeds that I started a couple of weeks ago starting to emerge.

















It's supposed to be 90+ degrees here in Portland over the weekend....our first 90 degree day of the summer.  I hope my seedlings don't decide to bolt!

2 comments:

Rowena... said...

What a great idea for the cage frames and your f/w garden is off to a great start!

~Holly~ said...

Rowena: Thanks! I hope it can sustain itself and the icky bugs and slugs keep their paws to themselves!