CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Refrigerator Pickled Chili Peppers

Over the weekend, I picked some Jalapeno and Hungarian Hot Wax peppers.  The jalapeno plant is growing peppers like crazy.  I decided to pick some of the larger peppers so the plant will continue to flower.  Anywho, I ended up with a small handfull of hot peppers.  What to do with them?  

I decided to make some quick refrigerator pickled peppers.  Yummy!!  The recipe follows, I cut it in 1/4 to make just 1 pint.  Adjust your recipe accordingly.  I'll let you know how they taste in about a week (hopefully I'll be able to stay outta this jar until then).  I want to make sure they're adequately pickled before digging in. 


Pickled Chili Peppers
From: "Put 'em up!: A Comprehensive Home Preserving Guide for the Creative Cook" by Sherri Brooks Vinton
Makes: 4 pints

























2 lbs. chili peppers, any variety, stemmed and sliced (I left mine whole)
3 c. distilled white vinegar
2 c. water
2 Tbsp. salt
2 Tbsp. sugar

1) Pack the peppers into 4 clean, hot pint-sized canning jars, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace.

2) Combine the vinegar, water, salt and sugar in a medium nonreactive saucepan and bring it just to a boil.

3) Pour the hot brine over the peppers to cover by 1/4 inch.  Leave 1/4 inch of headspace between the top of the liquid and the lid.

4) If refrigerating: Cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.  If Canning: Use the boiling water method and process jars for 15 minutes.  Keeps for 1 year in a cool dark place


**Linking up to Wendy's GTTC at Greenish Thumb**

4 comments:

rowena said...

Curious to see how they turn out, but in the meantime, now I've got that tongue twister in my head.

If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers,
How many pecks of pickled peppers did Peter Piper pick?


Buahahaha!

~Holly~ said...

Rowena: Hahaha! Thanks, now I have it stuck in my head!! PFFTTTHHH!!

Wendy said...

yummy yummy! I was so upset because rather than canning this year, I did a lot of freezing, and when our power went out, one day went into the next, and eventually, I had to throw all my stuff out.

~Holly~ said...

Wendy: Oh no!! I'm sorry you lost most of your frozen goodies! Boo!!!