CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 6, 2012

Preserving the Harvest - Freezing Green Beans

This weekend I decided to preserve some of the green beans from the garden.  The garden is picking up it's production and it's been veggies every night.  I decided to blanch and freeze these for sometime in the dead of winter when fresh green beans will be a nice treat. 
First, I trimmed the ends of my green beans and washed them well.  I brought a pot of salted water to a rolling boil.  I dropped my green beans into the boiling water and covered it with a lid.  I boiled the beans for about 3 minutes.  I drained them in the sink and quickly dropped them into a bowl filled with ice water to stop the cooking process.  I let them sit for an addition 3 minutes then drained them again.  They were perfectly tender crisp.  I then separated them into portions and sealed them with the Food Saver (love this thing!).  They're tucked safely away in my freezer for another meal.

4 comments:

Charmcitybalconygarden said...

Yum! The beans look beautiful. Bright green - looks good and healthy!

~Holly~ said...

CCBG: Thanks!! I'm glad I have some tucked away for the year! They were tasty. I love green beans!

Mac said...

Love green beans, I do both freeze and dry versions for different cooking purposes.

~Holly~ said...

Mac: I've never thought to dry them. Hmmm...