CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Harvesting Onions and Planting Out Leeks

On Monday I ripped out all the Walla Walla onions I had planted last summer.  They had bolted rather early this year due to our wanky weather.  I had waited to rip them out because the bees were enjoying the flowers.   I didn't have the heart to take them away.  Even on Sunday as I was working around the bees, I felt bad.  But I soon got over it....I had work to do.  

I yanked out the onions and some bulbs looked salvageable even though most had bolted.  I decided to dry them and see if I would be able to still use them.  They'll be weighed once I know if they're usable or not.  I got quite a bit of onions.  

After the old stuff was pulled out, the bed was prepped with chicken manure and organic fertilizers.  I planted 2 rows of Scotland Leeks.  I enjoyed the leeks this spring that I had planted last summer.  Although I wasn't quick enough to use them all (and they also started to bolt), I will try to be more diligent next spring.  I love leeks as an alternative to onions in recipes.  They offer a nice sweet and different taste.  













I haven't had the best of luck with onions so far so I may just scratch them this year.  I'll save some space here for some cloves of garlic that I'll try to plant in the fall.

1 comments:

Rowena... said...

Scotland leeks? I'm jealous! I planted 10-inch tall starts this past weekend (they weren't labelled with any particular name) in hopes of harvesting them whenever they are supposed to be ready. Goes to show how BAD I am about growing something but not really investigating all the details.