CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Grilled Artichokes with Lemon Dijon Dipping Sauce

It's no secret.  I love artichokes!  I've grown spoiled and usually buy only the purple Italian artichokes.  They have a great flavor to them.  I usually prepare my artichokes in the same manner.  I usually boil them with lemon, bay leaves and garlic cloves.  You'll find the recipe here.  This time I decided to try something different.  Since we were grilling the lemongrass chicken, I decided to try a grilled artichoke recipe.  This recipe is fabulous!  I love the flavor!    


Grilled Artichokes

2 large artichokes
1 large lemon
3 bay leaves
4 cloves garlic, smashed

Garlic Oil:
3/4 c. olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
fresh herbs (I used parsley, chives and thyme)

1) Fill a large pot with water.  Bring to a boil on the stove.  

2) While the pot is coming to a boil, trim your artichokes.  Trim the bottom stem and cut off about 1 inch from the top.  Using kitchen shears, trim the thorns off the leaves.  Cut the artichokes in half or quarter (depending on size).  Using a sharp knife, cut out the chokes or fuzzy centers from the artichoke.  Rub pieces with lemon or place in a bowl with lemon juice to keep from turning brown. 

3) When the water is boiling, cut the lemon in half and squeeze both sides into the water and add the rinds to the water.  Add the bay leaves and garlic.  Place the artichoke pieces in the pot and boil for about 20-30 minutes (depending on how large your pieces are).  I boiled for about 20 minutes.  

4) Remove your artichoke pieces to a colander to drain.  

5) Mix garlic oil ingredients in a small bowl.  Brush the artichokes with the garlic oil (be sure to get some into the cracks and crevaces).

6) Place the artichokes on a preheated grill.  Grill the artichokes for 5-10 minutes, basting with the olive oil and turning frequently, until the tips are charred.  


I served this with a Lemon Dijon Dipping Sauce.  The recipe for the sauce follows.  This sauce is fabulous!!  I used the leftovers for dipping raw vegetables.  Yummy!!


Lemon Dijon Dipping Sauce

3/4 c. mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. whole grain dijon mustard

1) Whisk together the sauce ingredients.  Adjust seasonings to taste.  Chill sauce until ready to use.

3 comments:

Why I garden... said...

Looks like a real treat. The sauce sounds very good too!

miss m said...

Oh, Yum !!

~Holly~ said...

Kelli: Thanks! It was soooo yummy!

miss m: LOL! Thanks!