CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Fall Garden Update

It's amazing how quickly my fall broccoli, cauliflower and lettuce have grown.  This is what they looked like when they were planted out on July 23rd.  They've been loving the little cover that provides shade from the heat and protection from the bugs.


The pea seeds that I chitted indoors and planted on August 6th have started to sprout.   
The beets, carrots and turnips planted on August 4th are sprouting also.  I'm amazed the carrots have sprouted with the 90+ degree days we've had.



The seedlings I planted on July 23rd are coming along nicely.  These inclue some kale, swiss chard, baby bok choy, Chinese cabbage, gai lan and sprouting broccoli.  They'll be ready to plant out very soon.


What's growing in your fall garden?

**Linking up to Jami's Tuesday Garden Party at An Oregon Cottage**

3 comments:

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

Hi Holly: Your veggi starts are looking great. I have not been able to grow brassicas here due to lots of cabbage moths. But I an working on clearing out a couple of spots in the garden for fall lettuce and salad greens--have some starts ready to go, but it's going up to 97 degrees for the next few days, so not great transplanting weather for lettuce! Take care--have a great week!

~Holly~ said...

athena: Thank you!! Yeah, most years I have to battle the moths too but the cloth covering has allowed me to plant in a new area where I never planted brassicas before. Covering them with the shade cloth keeps them cool AND keeps those annoying moths off! I hope the heat doesn't make my fall crops bolt. I'm crossing my fingers they'll survive!!

Jami @ An Oregon Cottage said...

Oh, Holly, I'm so impressed with your starts! They look fabulous and you are going to be able to take advantage of our long growing season with your planning. Good work!