CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 8, 2012

What's Cookin?: Swiss Chard Bibimbap

Bibimbap is a Korean dish.  It translates to "mixed rice".  It's typically made with left overs from your refrigerator.  The vegetables are served over a bed of rice with meat.  You can make it vegetarian if you like but I love using left over marinated beef or pork.  It's usually served with a egg on top and kochujang sauce.  

For my quick and easy bibimbap, I used a mixture of 2/3 brown rice and 1/3 white rice.  I scooped it into the bottom of the bowl.  I arranged my vegetables on the bed of rice.  Here I used seasoned bean sprouts, marinated lotus roots, kim chee, left over bulgogi (Korean marinated beef), shitake mushrooms and Swiss chard.  Most of the vegetables were bought at the Korean market.  The shitakes were dried.  I rehydrated them and sauteed them in some sesame oil.  The Swiss chard was from my garden.  I sauteed them in sesame oil.  I topped off my bibimbap with a fried egg and sprinkled sesame seeds over it.    
The kochujang sauce recipe follows.  You can purchase kochujang paste at most Asian markets.  It usually comes in a container like this.  It's a chili pepper paste.  Drizzle the sauce over your bibimbap, break the egg and enjoy!  It's truly some of the best Korean comfort food!


Kochujang Sauce for Bibimbap
Serves 4


4 Tbsp kochujang (Korean red chili paste)
2 cloves garlic, finely minced (optional)
2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. sesame oil
4 tsp. sesame seeds, toasted
4 tsp. sugar

1) Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.  Drizzle over bibimbap and enjoy!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Looks delicious! Thanks for visiting my blog and have a great time on your Alaska cruise!

- Rebecca (CruisingGoddess)

~Holly~ said...

Rebecca: Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm really excited to be taking a vacation....and to Alaska at that!!