CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 7, 2012

What's Bakin?: Carrot Apple Ginger Pulp Muffins

Since I've bought my Breville juicer, I've always throw the pulp into the compost.  I've also saved some of the scraps for my worm bin.  It seems like such a waste to not use the pulp of carrots and apples since some of the best breads are made with these power horses. 
More recently, I've found a great use for these scraps.  I've been juicing carrots, apples (and sometimes ginger) first then reserving the pulp for use later.  If I'm not using it right away, I'll put it in a freezer bag and freeze it until I'm ready.  Once I'm ready to use it, I just pick out large chucks or the apple skins that didn't get broken down.  The pulp makes delicious muffins and breads.

I also have a lot of applesauce that I canned last season.  I love using applesauce in my baking to decrease the amount of oil in recipes.  I combined these ingredients to make a delicious muffin full of vitamins and fiber.  The muffins stayed amazingly moist and delicious!  Move over bran muffins, here's something with a little more zip!

I took these to work to test out on my co-workers.  It was a huge hit and I was asked repeatedly for the recipe.  I found a recipe on the internet that I tweaked a little more it to make it to my liking.  I'm sorry but I can't remember where I got the original recipe from.  Here it is.....  


Carrot Apple Ginger Pulp Muffins
Makes 24-36 muffins
















3 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. extra virgin olive oil
1 c. unsweetened applesauce
1/2 c. milk
2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
6 large eggs
4 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. nutmeg
4 tsp. vanilla
4 c. pulp (I used a mixture of carrots, apples & ginger)
2 c. chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease muffin tins thoroughly or use cupcake liners.

2) Mix the flours, olive oil, applesauce, milk, salt, baking soda, brown sugar & eggs in a large mixing bowl.

3) Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.

4) Pour into muffin pan or liners and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.  Let muffins cool for about 10 minutes and serve!





6 comments:

Robin said...

I always hate throwing pulp away....well, putting it in the compost.

This is such a great idea and recipe! Now I have something to do with pulp!

~Holly~ said...

robin: Yes!! I hope you save your pulp for bread! I knew there must be something I could do with it. There's only so much pulp my worms can eat!

Julie said...

Those muffins look delicious and that's a great idea to use the juicer leftovers. Now I just need a juicer!

Andrea said...

What a fantastic idea! i usually give the pulp to the chickens but this weekend I'm going to make your muffins. Thanks for sharing such a great tip and your recipe.

Wendy said...

yum! I was planning to juice tomorrow. I'll need to save the pulp and try this.

~Holly~ said...

Julie: LOL! You totally need a juicer!

Andrea: I'll bet the chickens love the pulp! I can't wait to hear how you like the muffins!

Wendy: Oh, I hope you like the muffins too! My nurse co-workers asked me today if I brought more muffins. LOL!