CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 18, 2012

Harvest Monday 6/18/12

This week has been hectic (what else is new?).  I submitted my final portfolio for school and finished up my last rotation (whew!).  The garden has been largely neglected.  The most exciting news this week was the root vegetable harvest!

I finally decided to pull the daikon and turnips.  The daikon could have been left to grow larger but I was getting annoyed with the tops growing into everything.  I harvested the greens a few times but they keep coming back with a vengeance.  The Japanese Salad Daikon were still a little on the small side but pretty.  The Purple Top Turnips didn't do so well.  The tops had lots of greens but the bottoms didn't form on some of them.  Kohlrabi was also a bust.  The roots never did form.  I think they got overrun by the greens of the turnips and daikon.  I also decided to pull some Cincinnati Market Radishes.  A couple of them were pushing out of the dirt.  This is my first successful attempt at growing these Cincinnati Market radishes.  They look like red carrots.  So pretty!    

I harvested more Jericho Romaine Lettuce and Bright Lights Swiss Chard.  There was also lots of kale this week.  I'm going to try a new recipe for Braised Kale Spaghetti later this week.  





Here's the radishes again.  Noticed the one forked funky one.  


















 I placed a ruler next to the baby root vegetables so you can kinda get an idea of how long they were.  They're so cute.  Not sure what I'm making with them yet.
Happy Harvest!!

This Week's Harvest Totals:
- Daikon//Turnip Greens = 2.36 lb
- Kale = 1.07 lb
- Radish = 0.34 lb
- Daikon = 0.39 lb
- Turnips = 0.21 lb

9 comments:

kitsapFG said...

My turnips all bolted on me this spring and so did the first planting of radishes. The second planting of radishes are finally producing but rather ho hum sized roots so far. Your greens look great and I hope your schedule settles down a bit so you can enjoy some R&R in the garden.

Coral at Adventures in Agriburbia said...

Congrats on finishing up school. Those radishes look great!

~Holly~ said...

kitsap FG: Sorry about your turnips. Mine are so tiny. I wonder if the weather confused them! =0) I'm really disappointed in the kohlrabi. I was really looking forward to that!

Coral: Thank you!! I hope they taste as good as they look!

Why I garden... said...

A good harvest! Much better than what I'm getting at the minute!

Mary Hysong said...

my late spring planting of turnips didn't amount to much of anything either. i think it has been the crazy weather. It got so hot so fast most things just bolted. Your radishes look great tho and Norma always has great recipes; I know she has some for cooking with radishes if you need help using them up

Mac said...

Nice harvest, I grow the same red salad daikon, prob not worth the trouble, takes too long, I don't have patience for them.

Liz said...

I love those little red radishes and your very right I thought they were carrots - great colour.

Susana Reyes said...

Great harvest! Everything looks very colorful. I see you already have several recipes up. I will have to check them out. :)

~Holly~ said...

Kelli: Thank you! I see your garden is turning the corner! Happy Harvesting!!

Mary: I'm not sure what I did wrong but my kohlrabi looked bad too. I'm going to try again for fall.

Mac: LOL! Patience is not my strong suit either when it comes to the garden.

Liz: I'll have to find more seeds. I got these in a trade.

Susana: Thanks! Help yourself to the recipes. I love to try new recipes out!