CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Early June Garden

Here's what's growing in my Oregon garden in early June.  Things are coming along nicely.  First the fruits.  Hood Strawberries have developed and green berries can be seen.

Hood Strawberries
The container Meeker Raspberry plant is doing well.  I think I cut back the canes too late in the season. They'll likely be less berries this year because of this.  The bees have been busy and love the raspberry flowers.  You can already see some raspberries forming.
Container Meeker Raspberry




















Raspberries
The blueberry bush is also forming some delicious berries.  I can't wait!

Blueberries

This is the Marionberry plant I bought this year.  It's growing nicely in it's new container home.  I will need to buy a larger pot for next year.  I don't think I'll see fruit from the blackberry this year but I can't wait to be able to pick these from my own yard!  Yum!
Marionberry Container Plant
My plum tree has a few plums on it this year.  Last year I only had 1 plum.  Boo!!  This year I counted at least half a dozen.  I hope they turn out okay!
Plum
Moving onto the vegetables.  I received a few emails asking about my recycled styrofoam planter.  As you can see, the lettuce have been doing well and growing larger.  The Butterhead lettuce in the third row didn't survive.  I think it's because it was too small when I planted it out.  I will replace them with more Little Gem Lettuce.  But so far, so good.  
Lettuce and Mustard Greens
The spring plantings have done really well under the hoop house.  As you can see in this photo, the broccoli formed beautiful heads before being harvested.  This bed also holds Red Choi, Spinach, Lettuce and Swiss Chard.
This second bed contains turnips, kohlrabi, daikon, arugula, mizuna, leaf lettuce and kale.
My peas are growing taller and taller.  Flowers can be seen and small pea pods are forming.  This bed also contains radishes, beets and carrots.  
Beets



Carrots
Moving onto my favorite vegetable, the tomatoes.  Here are 3 cherry tomatoes.  The first small plant is a Chocolate Cherry and was planted out without a wall-o-water.  The other two (Sweet 100 and Sun Gold) were planted out in late April with WOWs.  As you can see, they're doing really well.  The Sweet 100 already has baby tomatoes.  Planted at  the base of these cherry tomatoes are basil.
These are a trio of tomato plants that I planted in a deep raised bed.  They are looking really happy and healthy.





This is the grafted tomato, Amish Paste.  It is large and bushy.  I'm amazed at how well it's grown compared to the other tomato plants.  
Here's some volunteer tomato plants.  I'm not sure what the one on the left is but the one on the right must be a Glacier tomato plant.  I think it was the only potato leaf plant I grew last season.  I wasn't too impressed by this variety last year so I pulled out the plant.

Here's the rest of my tomato plants.  One of the black bins contains 3 tomatillo plants.  Behind that are peppers and at the very end are eggplant.
This is my winter squash, Hokkaido Stella Blue.  I'm excited to see these grow. 
These are 3 summer squash.  For the past 2 years I haven't had much luck with these.  I think it was the cold and wet spring weather.  This year they seems to be doing well in this area of the yard.
This bed contains green beans and cucumbers.  I'm still debating what to fill the holes with.  Maybe edamame or beets.  
The edamame seeds I sowed are starting to push through the soil.  I haven't had good luck with these either.  Maybe this year will be different!
Last but not least are more pepper plants.  They are doing well despite the cool temperatures.  Some plants are also flowering!




4 comments:

Melinda said...

Wow - those tomatoes look great! I've never used the WOW's - but I'm impressed with how it works!

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

You have done such an amazing job with container-grown vegetables--this is not only beautiful but really productive--I love it! I like to use hoops and clear plastic over my early beds as well, and last year I even covered all my tomato plants in their cages with plastic. It keeps them warm and dry in our unpredictable and often wet climate, and they did pretty well. I always keep the eggplant and peppers covered all summer for the same reason, and it helps a lot.

Susan Zentmyer said...

Your garden is indeed wonderful! I wish my strawberries looked as good!

~Holly~ said...

melinda: Thanks! Yep, WOWs work wonders. LOL!

athena: Thank you! I have bad clay soil so not much goes directly into the ground. I've had to make do with lots of containers and raised beds. I've heard that the plastic works well too! I'm thinking I wished I covered the rest of my tomatoes with the icky weather we're now having. *sigh*

susan: Thanks!! I hope the strawberries taste half as good as they look! LOL!