CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

What's Cookin?: Strawberry Guri Guri

You maybe asking what the heck is guri guri?  Guri guri is a homemade treat we grew up with in Hawaii.  It's a cross between sherbert and ice cream.  The most famous on all the islands is made on Maui.  Tasaka's Guri Guri Shop in Kahului, Maui is well known for their version of this delicious treat.  It's really simple to make and boy is it tasty.  

I made some strawberry guri guri for the kids (bigs kids and little kids) while I was in Las Vegas.  We had it with Aubrey's birthday cake.  It was a winner!!  It was perfect for the hot Las Vegas weather.  

Of course feel free to substitute any flavor.  I've made it before with POG (passion-orange-guava juice) and orange soda but strawberry has always been my favorite.  


Strawberry Guri Guri


14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
12 oz. can 7-UP (I highly suggest using the brand name here.  
2 (12 oz.) can strawberry soda (I like Fanta brand)

1) Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl that will fit in your freezer.  Stir.  
2) Place the bowl in the freezer for about 2-3 hours (or as long as it takes to be semi-frozen).  Remove the bowl and stir thoroughly.  Place bowl back in the freezer for another 2-3 hours.  Remove and stir again.  Place the bowl back in the freezer overnight.  

3) The next morning, remove the bowl from the freezer and scrape until the guri guri is flaky and reaches a scoopable consistency.  Place the bowl back in the freezer.  Remove immediately before serving.  


6 comments:

scrapper al said...

Interesting. Looks yummy! I never buy soda, but I might to try this. I pinned this so I don't forget it.

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Thanks for sharing. It sounds like fun for the kids to help making this as well.

~Holly~ said...

scrapper al: I never buy soda either. I had to buy a 12 pack for the strawberry fanta. Luckily it stayed at my brother's house. ;0)

MKG: Oh yes, the kids will love it. You don't have to scrape it every few hours if you don't want to. I've made it the lazy way but pouring it into Dixie cups and freezing it solid the scraping them as you eat. Hope it's a hit at your house!

the red headed traveler said...

I never heard of this when we were on Maui but then I feel there's so much stuff I missed out on that I can't wait to try when we go back sometime to there or one of the other islands.

I do keep soda in the house all the time so I will be sure to try this!

~Holly~ said...

TRHT: I guess that means you'll have to plan a return trip to Maui! =0) I hope you try the guri guri. It's great on a hot summer day!!

scrapper al said...

I made this with guava soda and it was a hit! Now I'm trying it with tropical fruit soda and I hope it turns out just as yummy as the first batch. Thanks so much for sharing this easy and fun recipe.