CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Spring Veggie Garden Progress

I've had a busy few weeks with very little time to spend in the garden.  As a result, my vegetable beds have been largely neglected.  We had a few killer days of gorgeous, warm weather.  Unfortunately, I worked all of those days.  

I have had my spring vegetable bed covered with a hoop tunnel the entire time.  It's mostly to keep the bugs off my greens.  It's also worked out well since last week the lows dipped into the 30's and frost warnings were issued.  Also with the heat, the fabric provided just enough shade but gave the plants some circulation. 

My neighbor called and left a voice message for me last Friday.  She was in a panic.  I had left a cover over my plants and it was going to be stinkin' hot she said in a panic.  She thought I was out of town and wanted to know if I wanted her to uncover my plants.  I called her back to tell her it was okay and that I had meant to do that.  

A few days later, I was able to check up on my greens.  I lifted off the tunnel and viola!!  Holy greens!  Here's the before and after pictures.  You can see why I was surprised.  My little greens were all grown up!
Before - April 7th, 2012














After - May 13th, 2012





















I was able to make a nice harvest of greens over the weekend.  I even shared some with my neighbor and thanked her for keeping an eye on my garden for me.

This bed is full of lettuce, spinach, Swiss chard, broccoli and bok choy.  The 2 broccoli plants are doing really well.  It's hard to see in the photo, but the broccoli are just starting to form heads.  

Broccoli are starting to "head" up
The neighboring bed is filled with kale, more lettuce and some direct sown turnips, kohlrabi, daikon, arugula and mizuna.   I'm really loving the Rainbow Lacinato Kale I purchased.  It has lovely purple stems.  It's said to taste like the regular Lacinato Kale which is my favorite.  I may have to find seeds for these next year.   
Rainbow Lacinato Kale
















**Linking up to Jami's Tuesday Garden Party at An Oregon Cottage**

4 comments:

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

Wow--what a great before and after shot! The plants look fantastic. I was curious--what variety of spinach seed do you grow? I have been using one, but am looking for other ideas. Thanks!

~Holly~ said...

Athena: I bought these spinach as starters. They're "renegade". I noticed that they're showing signs of mildew now though. In the past I've had good luck with "tyee" spinach. Hope that helps!

Lima Bean said...

I would love to know any secrets you have about growing broccoli. Mine for two years have just gotten really tall and the heads are tiny and flower very quickly. I also live in Oregon--Springfield--so we have a similar climate. any tips?

~Holly~ said...

Lima Bean: I don't have any secrets for broccoli. Last year was my first year growing it and I didn't allow enough space between other vegetables. The main head didn't get very big and I had several small side shoots. This year I'm doing much better. I checked and the head is almost ready for harvest. I would say compost the soil well (I use chicken manure) for my spring greens, space accordingly and cover the broccoli if you can. Last year the catepillars attacked! Good luck!!