CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 17, 2012

More Summer Veggies

I got more garden chores done yesterday.  It was my last day off for a while so I needed to get a lot done.  I also managed to get a sunburn and my nose is still running from allergies but I've successfully planted the majority of my warm vegetables.  These were planted on Wednesday, May 16.

Eggplant:
- Millionaire Eggplant x 2: Millionaire's extra-early maturity and high productivity will make you feel like you've hit the jackpot. In our summer trials, Millionaire had ripe fruit before many of the other eggplant varieties were even flowering! The healthy, upright plants produce extraordinary harvests of deep purple, slender fruit, 8 inches long. This exquisite Japanese variety is tender and delicious with a minimal seed cavity. 54 days. (info from territorial seeds)
- Rosa Bianca Eggplant: Stunning Italian heirloom. Round 4-6 inch fruit are lavender-pink with creamy white shading. Mild in flavor and rarely bitter. Well suited for all your cooking needs, great for eggplant parmesan. 70-85 days from transplant. (info from seed savers exchange)

Japanese eggplants (purple long fruit) are my tried and true.  They're my favorite eggplant.  2 years ago I planted 2 Millionaire eggplant that produced like a million bucks (haha).  They were really productive.  Last year I tried Ichiban and was a little disappointed.  The fruit itself was delicious, but it was slow to produce and I didn't find it very productive but I'm not sure if weather played a roll.  This year I'm giving Millionaire another go.  

Last year I planted Listada de Gandia (a southern French heirloom) that did really well for me despite it saying it liked very hot weather.  I loved it's white and purple stripes and it was on the mild side.  I couldn't find this variety this year so I'm trying the Rosa Bianca.  I'm usually not a fan of the globe eggplant varieties.  I find they have too many seeds and can be bitter.  I'm hoping the Rosa Bianca doesn't disappoint.  


Summer Squash:
- Costata Romanesco: Distinctive Italian zucchini, prominently ribbed.  Medium gray-green, with pale green flecks and ribs. Big, large-leafed bush with only about half the yield of hybrids, but much better tasting; clearly better textured, nutty and delicious raw or cooked. Also a good producer of heavy male blossom buds for cooking. 52 days to maturity. (info from Johnny Seeds)
- Zucchini

I'm planting my squash in the ground again this year.  For the past 2 years, I haven't had good luck with in-ground planting of summer squash.  I think it maybe due to the really wet springs those year.  The year before I had great luck.  If it doesn't work this year (we've had a nice warm and dry spring), I'll have to plant them in containers next year.  Crossing my fingers....



Basil:
- Lime Basil
- Amethyst Improved Basil: The darkest purple basil we've seen. Nice, thick, turned down leaves like the classic Genovese. This almost black basil is a real stunner. 60 days to harvest. (info from Johnny Seeds)
















My last task of the day was also the hardest.  This bed had to be cleared of WEEDS!!  I should have taken a before picture because it was really bad!  After pulling them all out and turning the soil and amending it, I planted out the green beans and cucumbers.

Green Beans:
- Bush Blue Lake
- French Filet

Cucumbers:
- Lemon
- Regal Pickler

















I still have space in this bed and I'm debating what to put here.  I normally don't grow greens in this bed because the slugs tend to invade.  It's shallow so no carrots or other root vegetables.  Decisions, decisions.....

2 comments:

AnywhereEden said...

What about a bell pepper? Or hot pepper? It's a small space but a pepper doesn't need a lot.

~Holly~ said...

AnywhereEden: I've already planted a ton of peppers in containers but that's a good thought. If I find a variety of pepper that is a must have, I may decide to do it!