CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Las Vegas Gardening

While I was visiting in Las Vegas, my oldest niece (5 yrs old) wanted to do our annual plant some vegetables that she won't eat ritual.  She's cute like that.  One day while the little ones were taking their afternoon nap, she and I snuck off to the nursery.  

Unfortunately, it's past prime vegetable planting season for Las Vegas.  It was slim pickins.  We purchased some strawberry plants and flowers from the nursery.  I forgot to take a photo of the strawberries.  We got 4 strawberry plants total.  Two were June-bearing and two were everbearing type strawberries.  We planted them up in a hanging basket.  

The flowers were my nieces selections.  She liked the purple helitrope and a red salvia.  She insisted on orange marigolds and red petunias to finish out the pot.     
On the way home we stopped at Lowe's to see if they had more vegetables.  We were in luck.  We purchased 2 tomato plants.  One cherry tomato (Sweet 100) and a heirloom plant (Mr. Stripey).  She liked the pretty striped tomatoes.  We also got a Sweet Basil plant.
We also found 2 different cucumber plants.  One burpless cucumber and another pickling cucumber.  For fun, I planted some green beans (Blue Lake Bush and Royal Burgundy Beans) in the same pot.  
The day after we planted up our plants, Las Vegas was hit with a wind storm.  The plants hung in for dear life.  The next day when I checked in on them, the plants seems to be doing okay.  The basil got blown around a bit but I think it'll recover.  Since it was looking a little droopy, I pinched back the heads of the basil to hopefully encourage side shoot development.  

Between the heat and the two curious dogs, I hope our plants survive.  My niece said she'd try the tomatoes and cucumbers if they grew.  I'm not holding my breath.  She usually says "yucko" to most vegetables.  It was a fun bonding project.  



6 comments:

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

You are a very generous gardener to help out your niece. Look at that bright blue tomato cage--pretty!

Cozy Little House said...

I did the same with my 8 year old grandson last week. Took him to Lowes, and he picked basil, lavender and petunia to make a fairy garden. Good bonding experience.
Brenda

Charmcitybalconygarden said...

awww. so cute! so wonderful that you can share gardening with your niece!

~Holly~ said...

Athena: Thanks! She's 5 yrs old and just wanted to play with dirt. She helped me dig the hole, put the plant in the hole. After 2 plants, she got bored and said she would watch me. LOL! She picked out a bright blue and a bright red tomato cage.

cozy little house: Isn't it so much fun! Aww a fairy garden...cute!!

CCBG: Yeah it is our little bonding thing. We have fun trying new things.

debbie said...

sounds like you had a good time gardening with your neice! kids just love gardens, i love to watch them wonder through, picking and sampling.
debbie

~Holly~ said...

debbie: We had a lot of fun. It's our thing to do...well at least until the other two nieces get bigger and want to help. We did the same thing the other summer and she enjoyed picking the cherry tomatoes but would not eat them. LOL!