CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 28, 2012

Harvest Monday 5/28/12

I just got back from a visit with my brother's family in Las Vegas.  More on that later.  I didn't worry about keeping my garden watered while I was gone because I looked at the forecast before leaving.  Rain, rain, clouds and a splash of sunshine.  I felt my garden would be fine in my absence.

When I got back, I checked on my garden.  I had heard that there had been a couple of crazy storms here while I was away.  There was a freak rainstorn and thunderstorms.  My hoop house for my greens had partially collapsed.  Luckily, it was all fixable.  I decided to harvest some greens for the upcoming week.  

First,  I finally decided to pull the mystery carrots.  One of the tops was starting to send up seed pods.  These were carrots I planted last year but had no idea which kind these were until now.  SURPRISE!  It's Parisian Market Carrots that are small and bulb shaped.
Next, I decided to harvest some daikon and turnip greens.  The tops of these root vegetables were getting so big and taking over other plants that I decided a haircut wouldn't hurt. I've never cooked with these before but I know they can be eaten.  I'm not sure I've even tasted them before.  It'll be interesting to figure out how to use them.   
Here's my carrots and some freshly harvested kale.  I'll use some of the kale in my juicing and maybe make a nice salad later this week. 
Last but not least are some Swiss chard and a few stems of spinach.

This week's harvest totals:
- carrots = 0.06 lb
- spinach = 0.07 lb
- Swiss chard = 0.6 lb
- turnip & daikon greens = 1.59 lb
- kale = 0.9 lb

Happy Harvest!!


**Join Daphne at Daphne's Dandelions for Harvest Monday to see what every else around the world is harvesting in their gardens**

9 comments:

Prairie Cat said...

I love 'surprise!' veggies. You always need a little mystery in the garden.

I have never cooked turnip greens either, but am considering harvesting a few and trying it out since mine are so large, too. Let us know how it works out for you!

kitsapFG said...

Glad your garden was okay in your absence - even with the structure knock down from the storm cell that went through.

Mary Hysong said...

Lucky had rain while you were away! It's been months since we had any so my hoses are going almost all the time right now .... not looking forward to the water bill. Lovely harvests! I had some Purple Dragon volunteers that I've let go to seed, they are blooming now.

~Holly~ said...

prairie cat: I'm usually type A. I like to know what I'm getting. LOL! But since I didn't plant any main season veggie seeds this year, I'll take what I can get. It's super hard waiting for tomatoes since they take so long. I'm not that patient! =0)

kitsapFG: I'm glad it fared ok too!

Mary: Sorry about your water bill! I'll share some of our rain with ya! I have to try some of those purple dragons. They're so pretty!

Charmcitybalconygarden said...

how do keep the bugs off your greens? Your swiss chard is so perfect! So beautiful!

Bee Girl said...

Surprise harvests are the best! Love your tiny carrots!

~Holly~ said...

CCBG: I have raised beds (off the ground) and use cloth covers to keep the leaf miners off the chard.

bee girl: Thanks!! They were pretty tiny and cute. I laughed when I finally pulled them out. LOL!

Susi said...

I am glad your garden was ok for the most part. Your greens look really good. :)

~Holly~ said...

Susi: Thanks so much!!