CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 14, 2012

Harvest Monday 5/14/12

This week's harvest brought lots and lots of greens.  I'm so excited.  These greens were grown in a raised bed and was covered by a hoop house and shade cloth.  They've done well thus far.   

There was a lot of romaine lettuce.  I started by thinning out some plants.  I shared some lettuce with my neighbor.  She loves when I plant her some lettuce.  The spinach were overdue for a harvest.  Some of the larger leaves were as large as my palm!  I tested them for bitterness and I'm glad to report they're bitter free.  I'm saving the spinach for a new Indian dish I'll try out later this week.  Stay tuned for the recipe and review.  I love Swiss chard and kale and will have to dream up some yummy way to use it this week.   

Jericho Romaine Lettuce

Renegade Spinach

Bright Lights Swiss Chard

Lacinato Kale and Lacinato Rainbow Kale

This week's totals:
- lettuce = 1.24 lb
- spinach = 0.87 lb
- Swiss chard = 0.74 lb
- kale = 0.68 lb

8 comments:

Crafty Cristy said...

I am going to have to grow some Bright Lights Chard. I always love to see the pictures of them. Beautiful.

Mary Hysong said...

all of your greens are so pretty! I've got to get my soil in better shape, the kale made a poor showing this year.

Mary Hysong said...

yummy and delish looking greens! Share your chard recipes please!

Allison Preiss said...

Your greens look fantastic! i have the bright lightd chard growing too but mine doesn't look half as nice as yours!!!

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

Wow--look at that beautiful 'Jericho' lettuce! I have some seeds started under lights for my next round of lettuce planting--hope mine get as large and lush as yours!

Charmcitybalconygarden said...

wow, that is a lot of great greens!

Liz - Suburban Tomato said...

Your birght lights chard looks fab. I grow a mix called rainbow chard but it doesn't have any orange ones in it.

~Holly~ said...

crafty cristy: You'll have to try them. They add nice color to the spring garden!

mary: thanks! I have a lot of chard recipes posted. I hope you can find them!

allison: Thank you!

athena: I hope you have good results with the Jericho. They're a great romaine!

CCBG: LOL! It really is a lot!

Liz: I'll bet the rainbow chard is pretty too. My favorite color are the pinks and reds.