CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Aubrey's Birthday Feast

I was in Las Vegas last week for my niece Aubrey's birthday.  We took the kids to the park to play and have a picnic lunch.  Earlier that morning I made spam musubi.  If you're not from Hawaii, I know what you must be thinking.  Eww....spam!!  We grew up with spam in Hawaii.  Hawaii is spam capital of the world.  

These days I eat a lot less spam than I used it.  In fact, I can't remember the last time I had it.  My favorite way to have spam is in a musubi.  Spam musubi is a staple in Hawaii.  For our spam, my brother cooked it teriyaki style.  It is wrapped in nori (seaweed) and sandwiched between two layers of rice.  For good measure, I sprinkled some furikake on one of the rice layers.  Yummo!!  I forgot how good it could be!
We had a great time at the park although it was a little windy.  The kids had a blast.  It was fun to picnic together.  

The night before, I had marinated some mixed vegetables and shrimp.  For the veggies, I had sweet onions, bell peppers in red, orange and yellow, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, green and yellow zucchini & asparagus.  I skewered them up and my brother cooked them on the grill.  I love love love grilled vegetables.  It's one of my favorites!

















I forgot to take a photo of the main course, nicely grilled ribeye.  My brother did an excellent job of grilling them up perfectly! While he was busy grilling away, I whipped up a batch of baby potatoes.  I roasted them in the oven with a little oil, Hawaiian salt, pepper and rosemary.  They turned out nice and crispy.  Yum!

















I was so full after our birthday dinner feast!  Everything was delicious and most of all, Aubrey had a fantastic day!!

3 comments:

Charmcitybalconygarden said...

I love spam musubi! the first time I had it was at my Hawaiian friend's house when I was in grade school. Spam gets such a bad rap on the mainland. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you had a great time with your niece.

the red headed traveler said...

I'm one of those that would say "ewww Spam":) We unfortunately didn't try any when in Hawaii although I know it's so much a part of the culinary heritage there. The feast though looks wonderful!

~Holly~ said...

CCBG: Hooray! Someone who isn't grossed out by spam musubi! LOL! I had a great time with them. Thanks!

TRHT: LOL! It's okay, totally understandable. If I hadn't grown up on the stuff I'd likely be grossed out too.