CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

What's Cookin?: Strawberry-Blueberry-Marionberry Refrigerator Overnight Yogurt Oatmeal with Chia Seeds

I've been on a Chia seed kick lately.  Have you heard of them?  Yes, it's the same seeds you use to grow Chia pets but it's food grade seeds.  Apparently Chia seeds are really good for you.

Here's some facts about Chia seeds you probably don't know but should!
- Chia seeds have more Omega 3 fatty acids than flax seeds
- Chia seeds can absorb 8-10 times their weight in water and changes into a gel-like substance
- Chia seeds help you stay hydrated longer and stay fuller longer
- Chia seeds are high in protein, calcium, potassium, vitamin B and other anti-oxidants

I found some cool recipes for overnight yogurt oatmeal via Pintrest at www.theyummylife.com.  She has a lot of different recipes to try but I modified it to make the following recipe.  I love grab and go breakfasts since I usually don't have time in the morning to make something.  I usually make 4 of these jars one night and have them for breakfast over the next few days.  As you can see, it's full of yumminess and good for you ingredients.  I have noticed that it keeps me full longer than plain steel cut oatmeal.  




Strawberry-Blueberry-Marionberry Refrigerator Overnight Yogurt Oatmeal with Chia Seeds
Makes 1 pint

























1/4 c. uncooked old-fashioned oatmeal
1/3 c. milk
1/4 c. low-fat Greek yogurt
1 1/2 tsp. dried chia seeds
1/4 c. vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. marionberry jam
4 strawberries, cut into bite-sized pieces
a handfull of blueberries

1) In a pint jar with lid, add oatmeal, milk, yogurt, chia seeds, vanilla extract and jam.  Put lid on the jar and shake until well combined.  If your jam is thick, you may have to mix with a spoon.

2) Remove the lid and add fresh fruit and stir until mixed throughout.  Cover again with the lid and refrigerate overnight or as long as 3 days.  Eat chilled.

6 comments:

Smedette said...

Delicious!

I've been adding chia seeds to my morning smoothies. Love them!

Mac said...

I've never eaten chia seeds before, something new to try later.

Dan said...

what is chia seeds? this is my first time hearing this name..

Rowena... said...

Chia seeds have still to conquer Italy as I believe I've only ever seen them online and not in garden centers. Love your triple-berry breakfast treat!

Wendy said...

smart to make several days worth of the stuff - I bet you thank yourself every morning.

I just don't think i can do chia seeds. It just reminds me too much of the stuff you spread on the pottery!

~Holly~ said...

Smedette: They're really great, aren't they?

Mac: You should read up on them. They have great health benefits and they're easy to add to liquids.

Dan: You can do a google search on chia seeds and their health benefits.

Rowena: I hope the fad hits Italy soon. They're worth looking into.

Wendy: I totally love to prep once and only once for breakfast. I'm sooo not a morning person so it really helps to get me out the door!