CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

What's Cookin?: Sloppy Joes

This is a yummy sloppy joe recipe that freezes well.  It's also quick and easy to make.  This recipe makes enough for dinner and will have enough to freeze some for another night.  My brother likes to use the mixture to make sloppy joe nachos.

This was another recipe that was double kid approved.  This was despite the fact that my niece Arianna (the oldest) told me she wanted to have sloppy joes and I found out later from her mom that she doesn't like sloppy joes cause they're too messy.  While my brother fed my niece Aubrey (the middle child) her dinner, he played the Sloppy Joe song for her by Adam Sandler on YouTube.  She rocked out to the chorus.  Haha!  It was pretty cute!    


Sloppy Joes

Makes: 12 servings
Adapted from: www.allrecipes.com (submitted by: mominml)




















2 lb. ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
1/2 c. ketchup
1/3 c. packed brown sugar
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
hamburger buns
grated cheddar cheese (optional)

1) In a pot, cook ground beef, onions and garlic over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink.  Drain off excess oil and fat.

2) Stir in tomato sauce and tomato paste, ketchup, brown sugar and soy sauce.  Mix well.  Bring the mixture to a boil.  Reduce heat and cover pot.  Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3) Spoon onto hamburger buns and sprinkle with cheese (if you like).  You can always try my brother's sloppy joe nachos if you like too.

2 comments:

the red headed traveler said...

I saw that you just added a slew of posts but the sloppy joes one caught my eye and had me click on it first :) I never thought about using nachos but it definitely is a great idea!

~Holly~ said...

Julie: I'd let you know how the nachos tasted but my stinker brother wouldn't share! ;0) More posts to come this week. Power posting!