CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 5, 2012

What's Cookin?: Pork Hash

I'm not sure what the actual name of this dish is.  In Hawaii, we call it Pork Hash.  It's a Chinese dim sum item.  I *heart* pork hash.  I've been wanting to try this recipe for a while but decided to wait to test it out on my brother's family (plus I didn't want to gobble them all up by myself!).  This recipe was delicious!  I do need more instructions on how to fold these up so that they don't look like a starfish.  But otherwise, yummo!! 

I made thought I was doubling the recipe as posted but this only made about 25 pieces.  I'm not sure what I did wrong.  Maybe my dumpling skins were too big?  Anyways, I adapted the recipe for the way I made it.


Pork Hash
Servings: 20-25 pieces
Adapted from: www.allrecipes.com (submitted by: SAXONY)
















1/2 lb. ground pork
1/2 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined & minced to a paste
2 egg whites
4 Tbsp water chestnuts, chopped (my brother & SIL vetoed this out of the recipe)
2 Tbsp. green onions, chopped
4 Tbsp. cornstarch
4 tsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. garlic, minced
2 tsp. oyster sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
2 (14 oz.) package round dumpling skins

1) In a medium bowl, mix together the ground pork, shrimp, egg white, water chestnuts, green onions, cornstarch, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, oyster sauce, salt, pepper and sesame oil. 

2) Place about 1 Tbsp. of the filling onto the center of each dumpling wrapper and bring the sides up to the top.  Do not seal the top as these dumplings are left open. 

3) Place dumplings on parchment paper, in a steamer.  Set the steamer basket over a pan or wok of boiling water.  Steam each batch for 30 minutes.  

2 comments:

Linda said...

Looks yummy!! In chinese (cantonese) it is called Shu mai.

~Holly~ said...

I guess I've called them shu mai too. LOL!