CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

What's Cookin?: Lemon Spaghetti

Monday was a scorcher (for Portland in April, that is).  We made it to 82 degrees!!  Sometimes you just feel like a simple dinner.  I decided lemon spaghetti was perfect hot weather food.  I clipped some parsley from the garden and threw it all together.  Of course, this meal wouldn't be complete without a glass of chilled white wine.  I chose a Viognier from Peay Vineyards (California).  Delicious!  I'm talking about both the wine and the pasta of course!

I altered the original recipe just a tad.  I love lemon so I increased the lemon and lemon zest  in this recipe.  


Lemon Spaghetti
Adapted from: www.foodnetwork.com by Giada De Laurentiis
Serves: 6

1 lb. spaghetti
2/3 c. extra virgin olive oil
2/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese (plus extra for garnish)
1/2 - 3/4 c. fresh lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
salt and pepper
2 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
1/3 c. chopped fresh basil
1/3 c. chopped fresh parsley

1) Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Salt the water and drop the spaghetti into the pot.  Cook pasta until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally (about 8-9 minutes).  

2) While the pasta cooks, whisk the olive oil, Parmesan and lemon juice in a large bowl to blend.

3) Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.  Toss the pasta with the lemon sauce and the reserved cooking liquid, adding 1/4 cup water at a time as needed to moisten.  Season with salt and pepper.  Garnish with lemon zest, basil, parsley and extra Parmesan cheese.  


9 comments:

Sri Ranjani said...

Thats an interesting souse for pasta. I never thought to use lemon with pasta.

Thanks for taking the time out for reading my blog.

the red headed traveler said...

You had me at lemon! Looks simple and decidedly delicious!

Prairie Cat said...

You just made my stomach growl. Lemon! And pasta! Yes please.

Mindy said...

Yum! Sounds delicious.

~Holly~ said...

Sri: It is super quick and easy and best of all it tastes so good!!

the red headed traveler: LOL! I love lemon too!

prairie cat: It's super easy and yummy. I hope you enjoy it!

mindy: I have to pace myself. I could eat the entire bowl...it's that good! LOL!

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Sounds very refreshing. Nice meal for warm days!

Liz said...

That sounds lovely, I am always looking for new pasta recipes as they are one thing that no one in the family whinges about - always good for a pleasant mealtime.

Wendy said...

I agree with Liz - and with something this simple and yummy, everyone would eat it up!!

~Holly~ said...

MKG: It's perfect on a warm day!

Liz: Haha, I hope this recipe passes the whine test!

Wendy: It's so yummy, I have to pace myself. I could easy eat more than one serving!