CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

What's Cookin?: Frito Chili Pie

I got this recipe from the The Pioneer Woman.  It seemed interesting.  I've had chili covered Frito chips before but I've never added masa to my food before.  I have to admit.  I was a little apprehensive about how this was going to turn out.  I did a trial run by making it one night for dinner for my brother's family.  It was a hit with the entire family.  I made a second batch later to freeze for another day.


Frito Chili Pie
Servings: 6-8
Adapted from: www.thepioneerwoman.com

















2 lbs. ground beef
olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion, diced
1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
1 can (10 oz.) Ro-tel (diced tomaotes and chilies)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground oregano
1 Tbsp ground cumin
2 Tbsp. chili powder (I used 1 1/2 Tbsp to make it kid friendly or use more to spice it up)
1 can (14 oz.) dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (14 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 c. masa (corn flour) or corn meal
1/2 c. warm water
Fritos
grated cheddar cheese

1) Brown ground beef in a little bit of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.  Cook until the hamburger is no longer pink.  Drain off fat.  Add onions and garlic and cook until onions are translucent.

2) Add tomato sauce, Ro-tel, salt, oregano, cumin, and chili powder.  Cover pot and reduce heat to low.  Simmer for 30 minutes.

3) Add drained and rinsed beans and stir to combine.  Cover pot and simmer for another 20 minutes.

4) Mix masa with warm water.  Add slowly to the chili.  Stir to combine and simmer for another 10-15 minutes.  Turn off heat.

5) To serve, pour chili over a bowl of Frito chips and sprinkle with cheese.  Enjoy!

0 comments: