CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Spring Garden Progress

My spring garden seems to be coming along nicely.  The starters that I set out on April 7th have easily doubled in size.  Last week was rainy and overcast.  We had a few days of decent weather.  I kept the cold frame lid down at night and during a few overcast days (mainly because I forgot to open the box).  Some plants like the lettuce, spinach and Swiss chard thrived.  I was able to make a small harvest of these greens.   
Other plants, like the red choy, did not appreciate the warmth.  The bed of red choy I planted were showing signs of bolting.  Because the weekend brought unusually warm temps (mid 70's), I decided to pull the red choy and replant.
The direct sown seeds are starting to appear also.  All the seed beds have tiny plants growing now.




















I have replaced the cold frame cover with the hoops and barricade cloth to keep hungry pests off my greens.  I hope they do okay.

Linking to Jami @An Oregon Cottage's Garden Party.

6 comments:

Charmcitybalconygarden said...

Holly, do you have a picture of the cover for this garden? I'm curious what it looks like...maybe an old post?

Your garden is off to a such a great start!!

~Holly~ said...

CCBG: Here's a link I posted when my dad first made it. It really has been amazing!! He drilled holes so I could fit PVC pipes across when the frame lid was up. I drape the cloth over it to keep naughty bugs off during spring. Leaf miners have devastated my Swiss chard in the past and catepillars on my brassica make me crazy!

http://tastytravels-holly.blogspot.com/2010/08/gardening-cold-frame.html

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

I always look forward to your posts--you have a lovely garden!

~Holly~ said...

Athena: Thank you!!

Jami @ An Oregon Cottage said...

Wow! Everything looks so good, Holly! Really lush and healthy- good job. :-)

~Holly~ said...

Jami: Thanks!