CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 23, 2012

Harvest Monday 4/23/12

Last week we had a few days of warmish weather and a few rainy days.  I kept my raised bed covered with the cold frame on the rainy days.  Some veggies liked it, some didn't.  On the one hand, spinach, lettuce and Swiss chard thrived.  I was able to harvest some spinach and medium sized Swiss chard leaves this week.

On the down side, the Red Choy was unhappy with the cold frame.  I guess it got too warm in there and they bolted.  I harvested the bolting baby choy this week.  I was trimmed the bay plant and collect some leaves.    
Harvest Totals:
Spinach = 0.3 lb
Baby bok choy = 0.57 lb
Bay leaves = 0.01 lb
Swiss chard = 0.28 lb
Parsley = 0.04 lb

Join Daphne at Daphne's Dandelions to see what others have been harvesting this week.  





9 comments:

Robin said...

Nice Harvest!

Some of the choys seem to be very sensitive to temperature changes. I find the Baby Choi the most tolerant.

genkitummy said...

Wow! It must be nice to have fresh produce from your garden! I've never heard of red choy before

Charmcitybalconygarden said...

I've never eaten swiss chard before...but I think it is just a beautiful plant. I hope it tastes as good as it looks!

Mary Hysong said...

Some really nice looking harvests! Most of the Asian greens I've tried bolt at the first hint of warm weather, but they are nice while they last.

Liz said...

Nice leaves - I always think the red stalked chard look beautiful.

Mac said...

Nice greens, did you overwintered the
greens?

~Holly~ said...

robin: I had some problems with choys bolting during the summer but this surprised me since it wasn't very warm but I guess that cold frame keeps it really warm! I may have to try setting plants out in it sooner because of it.

genkitummy: The red choy is very pretty. Oh and tasty too!!

charmcity: I think they're pretty too. I love the bright lights variety. All the red, pink, yellow and oranges make me smile!

mary: I hope you have luck with the asian greens. Last year I had trouble with chinese cabbage. They were coming along really well then poof. They bolted. So bummed about that still.

Liz: i'm not gonna lie. Red is my favorite too!!

mac: Nope these were starters that were just planted.

Anonymous said...

You're already harvesting--that's fantastic! You're farther along in the garden than I am in that regard--I have lettuce and other greens plants, but they're too small to harvest yet. I do have a little remaining arugula and swiss chard that wintered over that I can harvest still. That part of the garden will get planted with cukes and other things later in the season.

~Holly~ said...

anonymous: Hooray for overwintered vegetables!! You'll be harvesting those greens in no time!