CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Garden Nursery Finds

A friend and I went to Portland Nursery earlier this week.  I love strolling through their nursery which is all outdoors.  They have a lot of neat flowers, trees and edibles.  They already have a great selection of spring vegetables.  It's hard to exercise restraint!  I want it all!  They also have a great selection of seeds from some great seed companies (many local).  

A few new things I did break down and buy and are new to me this year are:

Lacinato "Rainbow" Kale
Last year I grew both Lacinato and Dwarf Blue Curled Scotch Kale varieties.  I liked the Lacinato better.  Lacinato kale has always been my favorite to eat.  The Lacinato Rainbow Kale is a hybrid frilly leaved kale that is a cross between Lacinato and Redbor Kale.  It retains the leaf qualities that Lacinato is know for with the frilly leaves, vigor and cold-hardiness of the Redbor variety.  They come in beautiful colors like red, purple and blue-green.  There was just one plant left.  My plant is purple.

Ginger Mint
I've never seen ginger mint before.  After looking it up, I found out that it's a cross between corn mint and spearmint.  It has light green leaves with bright yellow strips throughout.  It does smell a little gingery.    

0 comments: