CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

What's Bakin?: Smores Crumb Bars

Every time I go to visit my brother and his family I have to come prepared with a recipe that is not only delicious, but that a (now) 5 year old can help make.  This one looked good on paper.  I mean seriously, what's not to love?  Graham crackers, chocolate and marshmallows reminding you of good ole camping days.  Fun!

This time, the little one was distracted by old episodes of Wonder Woman my brother had found on the internet.  I remember watching these (staring Linda Carter) when my brother and I were little.  My sister-in-law said she'd never seen them before and made fun of us.  After watching one episode, she thought they were cool!  Not as cool as we thought way back in the day, but still cool.  It was cool enough to captivate my niece, even by today's tv show standards.  Sorry, I digress.

Luckily this recipe was very easy (with or without your helper).  It was delicious but sweet (as you can imagine).  I bought graham crackers and crushed my own.  You'll need 2 packets of crackers for 3 cups.  Each box of graham crackers comes with 3 packets.  Graham crackers crumbs are also available in super markets pre-crushed.  I'm sure glad I followed suggestions and decreased the amount of sugar in the crust.  It was sweet already.  I also omitted the sprinkling of the top with graham crumbs.  I kept them all at the bottom.  You can use milk chocolate chips in this recipe but I think it'll be way too sweet.  Semi-sweet chips were perfect but dark chocolate would be amazing!  You can also cut down on the amount of chocolate if it's too sweet.  


Smores Crumb Bars
Adapted from www.allrecipes.com (submitted by Darlene Brenden)
Servings: one 9 x 13 pan


3 c. (2 pre-wrapped packets) graham cracker crumbs
3/4 c. butter, melted
1/6 c. sugar
3 c. miniature marshmallows
2 c. (12 oz. bag) semisweet chocolate chips

1) If you're crushing your own crackers, place graham crackers in a large Ziploc bag.  Use a rolling pin to crush the crackers into crumbs.

2) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.  Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil and spray with non-stick spray or butter well. 

3) Combine the graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar in a small bowl.  Mix well to incorporate.  Place the graham crumb mixture into the pre-greased pan and press in well.  

4) Sprinkle with the chocolate chips, then marshmallows.

5) Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes or until the marshmallows are lightly browned.  Remove from the oven and immediately press the top of the marshmallows down firmly with a greased spatula.  Cool pan completely then cut into bars.  If you can't wait until they're cool, wait until they're warm and cut with a greased knife.  Bars maybe served warm or cold.  

1 comments:

genkitummy said...

That look yummy and so easy to make too!