CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Wine Tasting: Sokol Blosser and Anne Amie

Oregon has some wonderful wines.  While we're not as well known as Napa Valley in California, it's definitely worth a trip to the humble wineries in Oregon.  Oregon wine makers grow some amazing grapes and make outstanding bottles of wine.  My personal favorite is the pinot noir but I'm also an equal opportunity wine drinker.

A few weeks ago we set out for Dundee, Oregon to pick up my wine club shipment from Sokol Blosser.  There wasn't a lot of color change in the grape leaves yet.  However, the vineyards were still beautiful!!  It was also harvest time!    

























The white crates are grapes that were fresh picked!  Yum!  I've written about Sokol Blosser.  If you're interested, they're here.

















The next stop was a little further, past the town of Dundee and Lafayette and onto Carlton.  I had wanted to visit Anne Amie for some time now.  This was my first visit to their tasting room.  The tasting room is open daily 10am-5pm from about March until December.  In January and February, it's usually open on the weekends only, from Friday to Sunday 10am-5pm or Monday-Thursday by appointment only.  
























































They have a nice patio area for sitting and relaxing while you have a snack and enjoy some wine.  They occasionally sell cheese and meat platters but your best bet would be to bring a lunch and buy their wine and enjoy the views.

The day we went, they were offering 2 flights, a variety of 5 wines for $10 and another reserve pinot noir flight.  I decided to do the variety.  The 2008 Pinot Noir was my favorite pour.  I also enjoyed their dessert wine pour.  The dessert wine was from their 2008 "Stickles" Anne and Amie Late Harvest Muller Thurgau Dessert Wines Set.  It sells as a duo of wines.  The Anne wine is is bottled in an ice wine style and the Amie is boiled down to caramelize the wine and then fortified.  We tasted the Amie and I loved the caramel flavor.  The set sells for $45.     
Anne Amie also makes excellent "A series" wines that are very inexpensive.  My favorites are whites, the Muller-Thugau that is on the dry side and the Amrita which is a white blend.  Both are only $12 a bottle.  You can sometimes find them at New Seasons.  They're definitely worth a try!    


Sokol Blosser
5000 Sokol Blosser Lane
Dundee, OR 97115
ph: (503) 684-2282
www.sokolblosser.com

Anne Amie
6580 NE Mineral Springs Road
Carlton, OR  97111
ph: (503) 864-2991
www.anneamie.com




4 comments:

Doc said...

I have been to Sokol Blosser many times as a family member is a close freind of mine. But I have never been to Anne Amie, looks like a must do!

~Holly~ said...

doc: Lucky you! I've been a wine club member at Sokol Blosser for a few years now. I love their approach to wine making and they have a great thing going on there!

Anne Amie is a good too! If you like white wines, check out their Amrita and Muller-Thurgau. It's only around $12 and I've found it at New Seasons before.

the red headed traveler said...

Looks lovely! I visited my first vineyard this past May at the Biltmore estate in North Carolina and we hope to visit the Tedeschi winery when we go to Maui next month.

~Holly~ said...

the red headed traveler: You'll have to tell me about the winery in Maui. I've never heard of them.