CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 30, 2011

What's Cookin?: Potato, Leek and Kale Soup

As the weather cools down, I start to crave soup.  This soup is a slight modification of Emeril's recipe.  It makes a nice creamy and hearty soup.  You could easily make a vegetarian version by omitting the bacon and using vegetable stock instead.  I added kale to make it a little more nutritious and to take advantage of the season's offerings.  It's a delicious soup on a cold fall day!


Potato, Leek and Kale Soup
Adapted from: www.foodnetwork.com (Emeril Lagasse, 2003)
Serves 6














1 large or 2 small leeks (about 1 pound), use only tender light green & white parts, sliced
2 bay leaves
20 black peppercorns
4 sprigs fresh thyme
3 strips bacon, chopped
2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 c. dry white wine
4 c. homemade chicken stock (or high quality store bought version)
3-4 medium russet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and diced
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 c. heavy cream (or heavy whipping cream)
1/2 bunch Lacinato kale, remove center ribs and roughly chopped

1) Trim off the top dark green portion and bottom roots of the leek.  Halve the leek lengthwise and rinse well under cold running water to remove any dirt or sand.  Slice the leeks thinly crosswise and set aside.

2) Make a bouquet garni by bundling the bay leaves, peppercorns and thyme in a piece of cheesecloth and set aside.

3) In a large soup pot over medium heat, cook the bacon for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the back is soft and has rendered most of its fat.  Add the butter and leeks to the pot and cook until the leeks are wilted, about 5 minutes.

4) Add the wine to the pot and bring it to a boil.  Add the bouquet garni, chicken stock, potatoes, slat and pepper.  Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.  Stir occasionally.

5) Remove the bouquet garni and discard.  Work in batches to puree the soup in a food processor or blender (do not fill to the top).  If you have an immersion blender, puree the soup directly in the pot.  You can either puree the entire pot or only 1/2 of the soup to keep some texture.  I prefer the texture in the soup.

6) Add chopped kale to the soup and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes or until  the kale is wilted.  Add the whipping cream and stir well.  Adjust seasonings if needed.  Serve soup hot with crusty bread or rolls.

7 comments:

genkitummy said...

This is a perfect recipe for the cold weather! I've been trying to figure out new ways to incorporate kale into recipes!

Why I garden... said...

Sounds like a perfect combination, and great use of garden staples this time of year! Yum!

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

What a good idea to add in kale. Looks good.

Wendy said...

This soup sounds great and perfect for the fall - I love all the ways you use kale/chard other greens.

ricki 'sprig to twig' said...

I see some new twists here to one of my favorite fall standbys...can't wait to try it!

Prairie Cat said...

I have all of these things sitting on my counter... I think you just helped me figure out what I am making for dinner!

~Holly~ said...

genkitummy: It is very comforting during the cool weather! I love using kale in cooking and this was a great recipe. I hope you try it too!

why I garden..: Thanks! It definitely was yummy!

MKG: Thanks! I love kale and adding it to dishes makes me happy!

Wendy: Thanks!! I love trying to use the greens (that are so good for you) in interesting ways!

ricki: I hope you try it! Let me know what you think!

prairie cat: You're welcome!! I hope you enjoyed the soup as much as I did!